Installation of Visual studio 2003 on VM widows XP SP3

raj12345

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to install Visual studio 2003 on VM Windows XP from my hard disk. I have copied all the setup on my hard disk. During installtion, 1 step done succesfully, when i click at 2 step its asking for inset CD. but all the setup copied over my hard disk.

May be any of CNC person have done installation for Visual studio 2003 from Hard disk. should i need to change in setup.ini for installation from Hard disk.

Please, help the needful.

Regards
Raj Kumar
JDE Technical Consultant
E1 8.10, 8.11, 8.12
Email: [email protected]

Raj,

Yes - done this before....

There is a .cfg or .msi or something that points to a drive - if you edit that file, you can make-good.

(db)

Since you're creating a VM, another trick you might use is to create an ISO image of the CD/DVD, and mount the ISO image onto the VM's virtual CD/DVD drive.

Hi Raj,

Here's microsoft knowledge base on how to do it, change the Setup.ini (here for details)

And here's my tip...make your installation of your visual studio into a ISO file and mount those files as virtual disks. It's handy and easier to manage. If you still have those disks you can use an iso file creator (reference here to make an image of those disks or if you have extracted those cd/dvd disks to your hard disk, you can still make it into an iso image file...see my reference of virtual image software)

I use UtraISO btw...

Hope this helps.

Hello Friends,

Thanks for your kind support...!!

I have installed Visual C++ 2003 on VM windows XP. But i am facing one more challage.
When i try to Edit my C Business function in OMW. System is pop-up with dialog box. "unable to start Visual C++ 7.1". Do i need make some setting in JDE.INI or how can i connect Visaul C++ and JDE OMW. So, i can debug my business function and create new business function.

Please, help the needful...!!

Regards
JDE Technical Consultant
E1 8.10, 8.11, 8.12
Email: [email protected]

Hi,

Please, remark that you have to install the C compiler
BEFORE you install your JDE client.

Hello Sebastian,

Thanks for your reply...!!

can you send me the steps and from where can i get the c Compiler?

I am getting the error" Unable to start MS Visual C++ 7.1 for Business function Edit".

Regards
Raj Kumar
JDE Technical Consultant

Hi,

The C compiler is precisely the Visual Studio 2003
stuff you were installing.
You should always install Visual Studio first, then
JDE Fat client components.

The reason you are getting those messages is that E1 doesn't know how to find the C++ compiler, even though you have installed Visual Studio. E1 looks at the path variables that are populated in the JDE.INI file of the fat client. This only occurs during a package installation to the fat client where the JDE.INI is affected.

This is why Sebastian is telling you to install E1 now. The setup program should detect the presence of the C++ compiler, and populate the JDE.INI file accordingly. Check your JDE.INI now, and check it again after the install. You should see that the top portion looks very different afterwards.

hello,

i am not installing JDE. i have jde.vdi file i just set the path in VM box that autmatically install JDE on VM box thats already equiped with windows XP. i need to give path in Existing hard disk JDE.VDI. i dont have any way to install visual studio 2003 on my VM box before JDE. it can be possible in only one case, if VM box equipped with XP as well as Visual studio 2003.

since, i my laptop operating system is windows 2007 Home basic. thats doesnt supported by JDE E1. i am using Oracle VM box. if you are aware about the concept of VM box and VM you can guide me better.

Please, suggest any solution.

if you need any clarification. please, revert back.

Regards
Raj Kumar
JDE Technical Consultant
E1 8.10, 8.11, 8.12

Now I really don't understand what you are doing ...

Are you:
1) Installing a fat client on your Windows XP machine?
2) Installing an Oracle VM with a fat client already installed on it?
3) Using an Oracle VM box installed somewhere else?

Hello,

2nd option, Installing an Oracle VM with a fat client already installed on it

Can you help me, now?

I have installed Visual studio 2003 on Oracle VM. i am able to open C business function from start. but when i try to open OMW system giving error. unable to start Visual c++ 7.1.

please, suggest me way to integrate Visual C++ to JDE. so, i can work on Business function.

Regards
Raj Kumar
JDE Technical Consultant
E1 8.10, 8.11, 8.12

Well, the Oracle VM has to have had the fat client installed from somewhere. Once you are running a session on the Oracle VM, run the E1 client setup program to reinstall the fat client on it.

Otherwise, you could do the manual work of figuring out the path where Visual Studio is installed, and editing your JDE.INI file to match it.

You should see a section called [JDE_CG] at the top of the JDE.INI file. It will have various lines like: STDLIBDIR=$(COMP)\VC98\lib.

Now obviously, the "$(COMP)" needs to be replaces with the actual path, but since this is VS .NET 2003 we're talking about, the "\VC98" also needs to be replaced with the equivalent (I believe "\vc7").

Please note you will have to do this in several places in the [JDE_CG] section. This is why we suggest just reinstalling the fat client. Let the setup program do the work for you.

Hello klwong,

I am attaching the screen shot of JDI.INI i have made. But still i am getting the same error. Please, find the attached screen shot for your reference.

Regards
Raj Kumar
JDE Technical Consultant

Attachments

• 165667-Visual_installation_bugs.doc
    156 KB · Views: 108
Hello Ken,

I have JDE.vdi file. That is Virtual disk image of JDE. we have no need to install, its already installed virtual disk as image its size is around 15 GB. we just need to give path in while starting session through VM box.

furthur reference i will send my JDE.INI file to you. if it is required or else you can send me JDE_CG] section setting through attachment. so, i can set accordignly.

even, i have tried for setting as you suggested me in previous. but i dont know, still its giving the same error. May be, some mistake from my side. if it is possible for you can you send me JDE_CG setting through attachment.

Thanks for your extended support....!!

Regards
Raj Kumar
JDE Technical Consultant.

2 things I notice from your attachment:

1) It says it's a JDE.INI from E1 9.0. The minimum technical requirements (MTRs) actually do NOT show that Visual Studio 2003 is supported under 9.0 and Tools Release 8.98.x. You must be on Visual Studio 2005 or 2008.

2) That said, I believe VS 2003 should still work just to let you edit the C++ code. One thing you may want to try is to cut the paths down to their old 8.3 naming, i.e. change C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio etc. to
C:\Progra~1\Micros~2 etc. and see if that helps.

Sorry, but I don't have an example I can attach.

Something else you may want to check: I believe VS 2003 still used environment variables for path information. You may want to check your PC's (or your VDI session's) environment variables for lines like INCLUDE=, LIB=, and that you have entries in your PATH that point to VS 2003 directories.

[Begin edit]

Something else I meant to ask ... from your description, it sounds like you are running the fat client through a VDI (virtual desktop interface), which is not necessarily the same thing as a virtual machine.

Usually I set up a full virtual machine and let developers use RDP or the Citrix client to get a session. I have never tried running through a VDI before, and I'm not sure Oracle has ever said anything about running a fat client that way (meaning it is likely not supported if you ask them).

[End edit]

Back