HTML Cluster Options

Jeremy M.

Jeremy M.

Well Known Member
In terms of licensing, is there a HTML clustering option that comes with the "red stack" Technical Foundation? According to Jeff Stevenson's article if you wish to even use WebLogic additional licensing is needed. Is this still the case? If so, is clustering with OAS included in the Technical Foundation?

Thanks!

An important note regarding WebLogic Server licensing: Although WLS is considered to be a technical replacement for OAS, it is not included in Red Stack licensing and must be purchased separately. There will be no more releases of OAS and I wonder whether this policy will change as OAS is replaced by WLS.

Jeremy

The flavor of Weblogic that is part of the red stack is weblogic standard. Weblogic standard does not include clustering. For clustering, you would need to uplift to weblogic enterprise.

For us, they did a one to one swap of OAS for weblogic, as long as we stuck with weblogic standard.

Weblogic enterprise gives you the following:

1) Weblogic clustering - vertical and horizontal. The ability to use one weblogic admin server for many weblogic machines. And a software based solution for high availibility.

2) It also gives you a software solution for round-robining your users. You will still need to set up a proxy server in front of your farm as the entry point for your users. This can be an html box or even an instance of weblogic, that's your choice.

We went a different route. I have six weblogic boxes. They sit behind an F5 big IP application router. The F5 serves as the proxy server. It then uses a computed load based algorithm to route the users to an availible weblogic server.

Each weblogic box is a standalone island with it's own admin server. All of the weblogic boxes are virtual boxes spread between three OVM hosts.

One thing to watch out for - if you read the oracle Red paper "JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 8.98.3 Custering Best Practices with Oracle Weblogic Server" (it's availible from the knowledge jungle), it will guide you down the road to setting up a software based Weblogic clustering solution. BUT - and this point is easy to miss - you will need to license the Enterprise flavor of Weblogic. Here's the kicker - the setup functionality for clustering is availible in the standard edition. you can follow that guideline and be all set with clustering. Until you come up to an Oracle audit and find out that you violated your license agreement. Ain't that a b*tch?

Should be interesting to see how this plays out over time.

- Gregg

Gregg, thanks for the clarification on WebLogic. I believe it is pretty much the same case with OAS? Please correct me if I am wrong. In the "red stack" you get the standard edition of OAS which doesn't support clustering. If you want the clustering then you need to purchase the enterprise edition.

Back