Top ERP Predictions for 2011

Article comments:

ERP and the cloud

I think this makes the most sense. A number of factors have begun to converge - unless your the size dictates you likely don't have full time CNC staff. JDE remains a collection of technologies that when configured correctly do work well, but its still a mish-mash of layers and layers of technology with a lot of it dating 10+ years old now. Outside of the technical expertise, it seems to me that the overall infrastructure for both capacity and disaster planning would be better served by a cloud which is really the same thing but on a larger scale.

Why not have the advantage of an expertly configured system, as well as being able to take advantage of additional cloud capabilities like Amazons ability to scale on demand? You will also note that Oracle recently certified Enterpriseone as a Amazon compatible instance.

Third party maintenance

As an ex-software industry employee, I can tell you that the software vendors will get you one way or the other. The first year that you buy and implement a product probably represents the best deal that you get as a customer. After that, the majority of your dollars go to R & D for the rest of their customers. I can't tell you that software support has gotten better over the years either.. the best support I have recieved is from smaller companies who still actually care about their customers.

ERP goes social

I don't see it. When I hear "Social", I actually hear "CRM", and then I shudder as I remember the enormous piles of crappy, unstructured and unmanaged data that comes with these systems. ERP systems are supposed to be tightly run and internally consistent.. the more "social" data you add, the greater the quantity of data and most of it will be worthless. Did I mention that in addition to ensuring your users add useful information, that you might want to prune it from time to time? I might be projecting a bit.

Mobility

Enterpriseone has really done a bad job of mobility. If you look at the supported platforms, only windows mobile is supported. Never heard of it? That's because it existed.. 2003?? 2002 ish?. You can build your own through interoperability, but mobile support is very dissapointing in enterpriseone. Other Oracle branded ERP systems have mobile apps like procurement approvement, but not in JDE (or at least on 8.12).

Unrelated to the article:

I recently attended a meeting with a oracle salesrep and they indicated that fusion will likely be a hosted application. Interesting times.

and did you read the part about the Exadata Cloud server? It Exa-time to move Exa-everthing over to an Exadata server. Remember how customers loved World because it was all one machine? Seems like we are swinging back to that side of the pendulum....

Here are my 2 cents:

ERP on the cloud will be driven more by the sense that it makes to the bottom line of companies - less need of hardware, less need of licenses and primarily, lesser need of JDE trained resources. Outsourcing has already caused a reduction in the JDE job market, cloud computing will be the last stake.
The only caveat that may prevent companies from joining the cloud computing market is the security aspect. Cloud computing is still not as secure as expected. I am no cloud computing expert and I may be wrong, but this is what I have gathered about issues with current cloud computing technology.

The infusion of BI into Fusion applications, as the article expects, would be a requirement going forward for any ERP solution. BI is going to drive forward the 'data view' expected by the business and thereby inherent ERP tools such as JDE's RDA toolset will no longer be used to the extent it is used presently. Processed data such as Sales orders, Purchase orders, Vouchers etc could be tied by an intelligent BI solution to help the business in all aspects from planning to production.

I think third party maintenance will continue in some form or the other.

Ofcourse, everything depends on the available budget in this economy. A company could go the whole nine yards - cloud computing, mobile connectivity via smartphones, BI, virtualization etc, provided it is willing to spend.

One thing is for certain, ERP as we have known it, green screen or the current web based is changing rapidly.

Tcons

Since we are trading pennies, here's my $.02.

I won't offer up an opinion on public cloud usage. Should be interesting to see how many companies go that route.

Private clouds - still very bleeding edge, but they are here and will grow. We are two months away from going live on our 9.0 private cloud. We have Exadata at the core. That gives us a crazy amount of expandible horse power. We have OVM hosts hosting multiple linux batch servers and multiple linux weblogic servers. As we add more countries, we will just keep expanding the cloud.

We have built a solid base that will expand 10 fold over the next few years. It will allow us to consolidate six regional XE instances into one big cloud.

- Gregg

Since the topic is about ERP predictions for 2011 my favorite gripe is well within this topic. For a few years i am finding that JDE is slowly dying in East Asia. Here are the facts
1. We tried recruiting a 2-3 yr experienced JDE BA in Shanghai. Hardly anybody qualified. There seems to be a paucity of young people working on JDE in China.
2. In Hong Kong it is deucedly difficult to get an experienced JDE consultant to spend more than 10 secs talking to you. They are a dying breed here with the same guys moving from one vendor to another or worse leaving JDE altogether.
3. Market information in HK is that no new implementations of JDE are happening. New customers are going to SAP or even Dynamics AX (seriously??!!)
4. The 2010 Quest Asia user conference in HK was attended by 10 customers max
5. The 2010 Quest Asia user conference in Singapore was cancelled.
6. A large JDE implementor in Singapore has closed shop. Now Malaysia is the center of JDE resources apparently
7. The senior-most manager in-charge of JDE visiting me from Denver said to me that Oracle has primary responsibility to its shareholders. Hence they dont believe in investing in markets to make them grow. If the market grows on its own then they will invest in it. HK apparently is not such a market. Maybe I should buy Oracle stock rather than Oracle products!

This trend is extremely worrying given our huge (by our SME standards) investments in time & effort into JDE over the years. If despite being an Oracle product it is being slowly choked off, it presents a significant risk for our business and we need to plan ahead for this.

I am hoping however that in other parts of the world JDE is still a growing and exciting ERP that keeps Oracle interested enough to keep investing in marketing it to new customers. I welcome your feedback on this.

Best regards
Shrikanth

I have heard many variations of this over the years and of course the perceptions and trends do change from time to time, but I think that the user base of JDE still grows steadily worldwide, so I think the future is still bright and the sun may still shine on your backyard, if perhaps not as soon as you may hope.

There have been gloomy days in Australia too some years back - any shake ups like this WFC never help, but it seems to be always picking up again afterwards.

And even in your parts, I believe there may already be tens of implementations in Korea now, while there were only two some ten years ago.

Employees may be faster to leave based on perceptions alone, but what probably is the biggest issue, I guess, is the sales effort on the part of Oracle and its partners. And in HK, after JDE closed their office there, all such efforts must be made by the partners, I guess. - i.e.: if you know anyone in HK who may be interested in acquiring JDE software, then perhaps you could contribute and make it happen?

There could of course be some HK specifics that affect this too...

My Prediction: Larry Ellison gets rich; Oracle buys more companies; JDE business grow poorer paying for it.

Back