WebSphere 6.1 Services

Wildcat

I have two HTML load balanced servers that were updated to WebSphere 6.1 Fix Pack 27 (6.1.0.27), WAS services successfully started, but if you log off from one of the servers the WAS services go down and have to be restarted using command line. Admin rights match on both servers. What is causing this issue?

Platform is JDE E1 9.0 (Tools Release 8.98.3), Microsoft OS, IBM WebSphere 6.1, Oracle 10g database.

Thanks.

Are you saying that your WebSphere instances normally are set as automatically starting services, but are currently shutting down after you log off of a session? Or do you mean that you started the instances (either through command-line or in the WebSphere Admin Console), and they are shutting down after logging off?

WebSphere services are automatically started. If I log off from one of the two servers, services on one of the servers go down. I realize that in previous WebSphere version that if you were logged into the command line you had to keep the command open are services would go down. Thanks for your help.

So in the Services applet under Administrative Tools, you don't have services created for your WebSphere instances and/or HTTP Server?

WAS services can be started from JDE Server Manager, however Server Manager was down at the time so the command line on the HTML server was used, which is then when we noticed that logging off the HTML stopped services.

OK, that's what I thought. Whenever the startServer command is issued from a command line, it will always halt after the user logs off, because the session is now gone.

Besides using Server Manager, you can also create an auto-starting Windows service by using this command: WASService parameters at IBM.

Thanks for the reply. Is this not a bug? If I do a disconnect from a Terminal Services session, WAS services remain on, services only go down when I do a "log off". Thanks again.

[ QUOTE ]
... If I do a disconnect from a Terminal Services session ...

[/ QUOTE ]

There's the catch ...

By doing a Disconnect, your session still exists, and the processes that you were running are still there.

By logging off, your session no longer exists afterwards, and all the processes you were running are halted.

Understood. By starting services in JDE Server Manager prevents having to use a command line to start services and stay logged into the server. If this is correct, does this not sound like a bug? Thanks.

I don't know about "bug." WebSphere has been this way since at least version 5.

[ QUOTE ]
Understood. By starting services in JDE Server Manager prevents having to use a command line to start services and stay logged into the server. If this is correct, does this not sound like a bug? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The WebSphere service (as in a Windows service for WAS) should be created by the install process. This Windows service should be set to autostart. Either the ISC (formerly WAS console) or JDE Server Manager can be used to start the instances (either EA for Server Manager which will start the AS or AS for the Integrated Solutions Console which will start the EA).

Once you've got the Windows service for WebSphere setup to autostart, you can follow the instructions here to have the whole thing start automatically on hardware start:

http://jeffstevenson.karamazovgroup.com/2009/03/auto-restart-websphere-application.html

Back