F42199 conversion process from Xe to 9.0...

swhitmire

Reputable Poster
We're working on an upgrade from Xe to 9.0, and in our table conversion tests, we've found that the conversions on F42199 take an extremely long time -- almost 64 hours all together, which is longer than all the others together take. We've purged some more data out of the live table since our initial tests, but only about a third, so these processes are still going to take a lot longer than we'd like. To speed this up, we're trying to figure out exactly what these UBEs (R8942199D, R8942199A, R8942199B, and R8942199F) do and see if we can't do part of it faster directly in the database. The Programmer's Guide isn't completely clear about what all happens, but from looking at it and the UBEs, it seems like R8942199D just copies all rows with a value in the CDCD field to F42199A, and then R8942199F just sets SHPN in F42199 to CDCD from F42199A and fills in XPTY with all 9's. These two processes took 32 hours and 24 hours respectively, so if this is true, I think we could speed it up considerably by just running a couple of SQL statements, one to convert CDCD to a number and assign it to SHPN wherever it's not blank, and one to update XPTY. Has anyone tried this? Or, if not, I'd like to hear about anything anyone's done to speed up these processes (adding indexes, etc)... thanks!

I recently completed an XE to 9.0 upgrade. Can you let us know how many records in your F42199? Maybe a few of us could check records in our F42199 and compare to see how long this TC took in our environment. Are you running the TC on the DS or the ES? Have you checked to make sure logging is off? Are you converting the table to unicode at the same time as executing the TC?

Michael

There were about 20M records in the F42199 when we ran the conversions (we've cut that down to 14.6M for the next try). They were running on the enterprise server, with logging off, and were were not doing a Unicode conversion. The other TC processes seemed to take a reasonable time, but these definitely didn't, especially the first (R8942199D) and fourth (R8942199F) of the four processes.

Back