OAS Vertical Clustering with TR 8.98.3x

cnc__guy

cnc__guy

Well Known Member
JDEList,

A bit of background:

I have two Production OAS Servers configured with one JVM each and they are 'load balanced' on the front-end with a Cisco load balancer.

I would like to improve my performance by adding additional JVMs to each server and clustering them so I would then have 6 (3 on each server) JVMs to serve my production users.

Each of my OAS Servers has 4 processors and 8GB or RAM.

PLEASE CRITIQUE THE FOLLOWING:

Are these the correct steps for setting up OAS Vertical Clustering using TR 8.98.3x????

I am wanting to Vertically Cluster my Production OAS instances. I can either create all my OC4j containers and JVMs on my server with the same port or use different ports. Do I use the same port or must I use different ports?

I then use the OAS ASC application to create my cluster using a common Multicast IP Address and Port.

I am then going to setup a HTTP entry for a single point of entry to this cluster.

Then, if I want to repeat this one another OAS Server (Horizontal Clustering), I can use the same steps as above and then use a Cisco Load Balancer in front of the 'single points of entry' so my users have a single URL for my Horizontal and Vertical OAS cluster.

Does this make sense? Please correct where I am wrong?

Thanks,
James

E1 9.0, SQL Server 2005, Wintel platform 2003 Servers, TR 8.98.3.3, OAS 10.1.3.1

If I were you I would make life simple by just increasing the JVM count for each instance through server manager and let OAS handle the distribution of users between the JVMs on each server. See document 791311.1 for workaround for a small issue that can occur when using multiple JVMs.

We currently have two Production OAS servers as well with a network load balancer in front of them and we have a single OC4J container running two JVMs on each making a total of four instances spread accross two servers and it has worked very well for us. OAS seems to do well distributing the load between the two JVMs on each server as well. We are running OAS 10.1.3.4 also.

Thank you! I am certainly all about keeping it simple.

Do you just increase the 'JVM Process' count using SM? Is it that simple to increase the number of JVMs running on that server? I have not been able to find good documentation in the SM Guide as to what increasing the 'JVM Process' number actually does.

If it is that simple to increase the number of JVMs and that will actually use its own processor and additional memory, that would be sufficient.

Again, thanks for the ideas.

James

The answer is 'Yes' to all your questions. If it makes you feel more comfortable try it out on your PY instance first for a few days. Again, you may need to edit the web.xml before doing it as referenced in the document id I provide earlier.

Back