JDE WEB timestamp problem

Alex_Pastuhov

Alex_Pastuhov

Legendary Poster
Thought I'd give an advanced warning - this may help someone:

The latest JDE tools releases (as well as all the corresponding JAS servers) are shipped with an older release of Java (1.5.0.5 or 1.5.0.6), but they also support W2008.

And as it turns out, these Java versions have an issue with the way W2008 timezone data is now stored in the registry, so in effect, the WEB server cannot find what it's after and quietly assumes it's GMT.

The end result is that whatever the WEB users do, all auditing fields show incorrect date/time.

After investigating this issue all around, we figured that a Java update is in order and it did indeed fixed this issue, once we upgraded it to 1.5.0.22.

The same, of course, applies to SM. Where it's limited to just the incorrect log timestamps, but even that is a bit annoying.

Now, fingers crossed, we are waiting to see what this change may have broken. Because naturally, this is the core engine behind the JAS and a slightest issue there may turn out to become a major problem with the system.

We have probably not been the first to come across this and surely will not be the last. Perhaps the future tools releases may come with a good version of Java, but until then, beware that this is something you will likely have to fix...

AH......the situation is much more grim.

You need to update Server Manager to the latest version of the 1.6 JDK.

See ID 1050348.1

Wow, yes, indeed! Many thanks for this!

Do you know if the OAS copy of Java need/must/shoud/can be updated and to what level? - we just went to 1.5.0.22 on both OAS (for the GMT problem) and SM (just for the logs). It's OAS 10.2. And the DB is 11.2 on a different server here (W2008 R2 x64 as well).

Must admit that I've never tried in OAS but I'm pretty sure if you upped a major Java level it would break......ie 1.4 to 1.5 ot 1.5 to 1.6.

I have updated all my OAS servers to the latest 1.5 JDK. If I recall the latest OAS version is not certified by JDE nor will it be and that's the one that users the 1.6 JDK?

I really don't see the point in fixing Server Manager until they fix the sort sequences...........just click on the sort button in the user list and you'll see that it's alpanumeric which means 1 second, 1 minute and 1 hour of inactivity are right next to each other! Drives me bonkers.

Colin

Yes, I think it would break it too, so I would not dare, unless there are many confirmations that it's doable and works.

Interestingly, this article you pointed me to is referring to a 32-bit Agent running on Win64, which is strange, because there's a 64-bit Agent there and it's the one we see running here, so the Java it would be using would also be 64-bit. And it also seems to be specifically referring to WS servers, while we have OAS, so it may not in fact apply at all. The client has decided to wait and see, monitoring it closely, before applying this "fix"...

Thank you for sharing this. I installed 1.5.0.22 and it worked perfectly on SM and the web servers. The folder has to be updated in both the JDE_HOME folder and the OASxxxx folder. Once I updated both, it worked fine.

Back