Data migration from AS 400/DB2 V5 R4 to Unix/Linux and Oracle

las_1245

las_1245

Dear List

Posting this one in correct section-

We are considering migration of huge data(in Terabytes) from AS 400/DB2 V5 R4 to Unix/Linux and Oracle.

We are changing operating system and data base also.I understand Oracle work bench does not support V5 R4.

I would like to know pointers on possible tools and approach for the migration.

Thanks in advance...

Las

I hate to be one of those people that always says "You should get a consultant to help you with this" but you really should.

After reading your question it's clear that you might not have the necessary background for this.

I don't know what you mean by "Oracle Workbench" and if there was such a thing it's not ised for a platform migration.

Also your AS/400 question shows that you don't have an AS/400 background .........V5R4 is supported for another 2 years.

Finally you have not mentioned anything about your configuration........what version of JDE? How many environments? How much development are you doing? What are your hours of operation? What modules are you running?

I've done 3 AS400 to Oracle conversions this year and you should expect your data volume to grow by atleast 1/3 just for the database conversion.

Plan on using the Oracle Enterprise Edition and perhaps compressing data if you can afford this version. Nothing wrong with Standard but if we're talking terabytes then you want Enterprise.

There are several ways to set this up for a smooth and easy transfer.

Colin

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know what you mean by "Oracle Workbench" and if there was such a thing it's not ised for a platform migration.

[/ QUOTE ]

He could be referring to the old Oracle Migration Workbench utility. That is functionality they've since moved over to the SQL Developer product. It was/is used for migrations from non-Oracle to Oracle databases. It seems to me they're looking at the various options due to the size of the database to be migrated.

Ahhhh........and we all know how well those third party tools work with JDE.

Might be time to start purging.

Or migrate all the data once and then for go-live just migrate the 2% or so that actually changed.

If you have 100 million records in your F0911 why migrate it twice when you don't change anything in there?

Colin

Colin, what's driving the platform switches (your three this year)? Are you clients saving money on Linux/Oracle, more stable, better performance?

My work is typically split 50:50 between the AS400 and Oracle (on different platforms) so I can clearly say that the Oracle supported platforms aren't anymore stable, are generally not any cheaper and actually require more administration.

The change for these customers who are all Municipal or Utility is driven by a number of factors:
1. Sweetheart licensing deal with Oracle from the gouvernment

2. Change or upgrades in other key corporate systems (Tax Collection, Program Registration & Facility Booking, Utility Billing, Building Permits, etc) that have all gone Oracle based so it's more of a "standardization" than anything else.

3. Change in Windows/Linus Performance/Stability/Availability is also driving this. I'm not deploying virtual environments on VMWare, Oracle RAC with active-active hardware based clustering. The x86 architecture has improved dramatically in scalability so it makes virtualization easy and these customers were't that big to begin with so they easily fit into this architecture.

Colin

Colin has a good point, though archiving would probably be needed for historical reference. ArcTools supports all DB platforms now and that may be a great way to get your feet wet with Oracle as well as trim the size of your PD data to make a production cutover feasible in a weekend timeframe.

Back