Availablity of JD Edwards over Cloud computing

• Thread starter mukesh srivastava
  • Start date

mukesh srivastava

Hi All

Can anyone let me know if JD Edwards available on Cloud computing.....As i have serious doubts if it can be available on Cloud computing...

Regards
Mukesh Srivastava
CNC Consultant

Mukesh,

Which definition of 'Cloud' Computing? I keep getting similar questions regarding different technologies/applications (not jde). Everyone's concept of 'the cloud' is more foggy than blue-sky

(db)

[ QUOTE ]
Hi All

Can anyone let me know if JD Edwards available on Cloud computing.....As i have serious doubts if it can be available on Cloud computing...

Regards
Mukesh Srivastava
CNC Consultant

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how you define cloud - if a public cloud, no way. If a private cloud, sure. I'm testing a 12 server linux cloud right now. I have six active / active weblogic servers backed up with six active / active batch servers with shared storage on a Network Application server and supported by a big honking Oracle Exadata database server. ("big honking" is a highly technical term for you non-CNCs out there)

- Gregg "Livin on a JDE Cloud" Larkin

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi All

Regards
Mukesh Srivastava
CNC Consultant

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how you define cloud - if a public cloud, no way. If a private cloud, sure. I'm testing a 12 server linux cloud right now. I have six active / active weblogic servers backed up with six active / active batch servers with shared storage on a Network Application server and supported by a big honking Oracle Exadata database server. ("big honking" is a highly technical term for you non-CNCs out there)

- Gregg "Livin on a JDE Cloud" Larkin

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me revise myself - it's not a 12 server cloud. It's actually an 18 server cloud balanced with two F5 application load balancers. With more servers to be added in before go-live.

I'm sure "Mr. Cloud-King" Colin Dawes can one-up me on some of his installations. My environment will get much bigger, this cloud is just the warm-up act before the headliners come on stage.

Gregg "Livin on a JDE Cloud" Larkin

Gregg's description is pretty much spot on where Oracle intends to take the concept of the cloud. (It sounds like a cool setup.) The public cloud is very hard to imagine for products like JDE, EBS, or PeopleSoft. The more likely scenario for a public cloud for Oracle is Larry Ellison purchasing the majority ownership in NetSuite and focusing the public cloud for Oracle on Small to Medium size enterprises. (Larry has already funded NetSuite and they run Oracle db.) The tier one products will stay in the private cloud; companies just don't want to hand over total control to a third party and not be able to capitalize their investment in IT. All public cloud services are subscription based and are cash outflows on the balance sheet.

I agree and I disagree.

I agree that you won't see E1 or the other tier 1's in public clouds.

On the other hand, there are options to have your private JDE implementation "clouded"
smile.gif
at a company that hosts the hardware and performs CNC type support 24/7. There are companies that make the financial case for this approach and it works for them.

[ QUOTE ]
Gregg's description is pretty much spot on where Oracle intends to take the concept of the cloud. (It sounds like a cool setup.) The public cloud is very hard to imagine for products like JDE, EBS, or PeopleSoft. The more likely scenario for a public cloud for Oracle is Larry Ellison purchasing the majority ownership in NetSuite and focusing the public cloud for Oracle on Small to Medium size enterprises. (Larry has already funded NetSuite and they run Oracle db.) The tier one products will stay in the private cloud; companies just don't want to hand over total control to a third party and not be able to capitalize their investment in IT. All public cloud services are subscription based and are cash outflows on the balance sheet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our configuration is Larry's dream - three Oracle Virtual Machine hosts. They host the six Weblogic and six JDE batch servers. We placed the media objects and the print queue on a large highly availible Network storage server.

We also have some BSSV weblogic servers in the mix as well.

The weblogic servers and the batch servers are load balanced by a Big IP F5 appliance. They are active / active servers. If a batch server dies, the screen that the user is using errors out, they close that screen, but not JDE, and then pick up a new batch server and continue along. Very cool. If the weblogic server they are conected to dies, they just pick up a new weblogic server and continue along.

On the backside - the data is hosted on Oracle's database server, Exadata. That is a Sun server with on board storage, a 40 gb internal router, lots of ram and disk cache.

The overall strategy is to be Oracle end to end. Oracle hardware and database, Oracle virtual machine, Oracle Enterprise Linux, Oracle weblogic, and Oracle JDE.

- Gregg

JMast, I agree, and I think you coined some new jargon with "clouded." Nicely done!

The private cloud, as described by Gregg, is where Oracle is going; Larry would probably say "the private cloud is where Oracle has been for the last 12 years."

If you were to purchase those services from a hosting company the software would be a capitalized expense and this makes an appealing offering to a number of businesses that view hardware as a commodity and don't want to manage hardware onsite.

Gregg, how about those benchmark results for your Exadata server? - I've been longing to see them for a year now...

Gregg, Oracle must be taking pretty good care of your shop these days! Damn, you went full bore into this thing. If you have any benchmark numbers, like Alex, I too would be interested. When is your presentation at Open World? ;-)

[ QUOTE ]
Gregg, Oracle must be taking pretty good care of your shop these days! Damn, you went full bore into this thing. If you have any benchmark numbers, like Alex, I too would be interested. When is your presentation at Open World? ;-)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi guys

We start up our Integrated CRP today using all of the cloud. Earlier CRPs were using a windows batch server and OAS. We went live with the linux cloud last week and have the users switched over to linux now. We still have to maintain a windows batch server for certain tasks. Linux batch servers don't like talking to MS SQL. The other issue is subsystems. We need to be able to have a subsystem print directly to a windows print server. We are running those jobs on the windows batch server and everything else on linux.

One interesting benchmark is package builds. Building against Oracle instead of SQL, even with an Exadata back end, is slower. It was dramatically slower, we complained and they made some tweaks that spead things up. But it's still slower because of the nature of the how Oracle serves up central objects.

The other benchmark (compared to XE) that's slower is the web layer. We are building so many dang packages that every screen has to compile before you use it. I'm sure that will settle down in time.

It's interesting, we skipped multiple generations. Our Mexico business is jumping from XE / SQL / Microsoft / Citrix to 9.0 / Oracle 11g / Exadata / OVM / OEL / Weblogic / balanced with F5 app switches. A jump from a very stable, older config to the cutting edge. After Mexico comes South America, our packaged gas business in North America (not currently on JDE), the rest of North American XE users, then Europe and Asia. Should keep us busy upgrading systems for a while....

As we get into the CRP, I'll see what kinds of benchmarks we can generate.

Think you guys would be interested in reading a case study and maybe an Openworld or Quest presentation on our setup?

- Gregg

Hi Gregg,

I would be very interested to see those numbers. At my current employer like most shops, we are probably a fraction of your size, but its good to know where you can go.

I am particularly interested in the actual costs of running a linux based servers. I could be wrong, but I think the future of enterprise class machines is largely going to be windows or linux.

I don't see unix expanding and you can check the gardner sales values, and I don't see AS/400 expanding since it really looks antique compared to the new capabilities for these other os's, particularly around virtualization and more importantantly cost for actual performance.

Cheers

Malcolm

[ QUOTE ]
[Think you guys would be interested in reading a case study and maybe an Openworld or Quest presentation on our setup?]

Absolutely!

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see unix expanding and you can check the gardner sales values, and I don't see AS/400 expanding since it really looks antique compared to the new capabilities for these other os's, particularly around virtualization and more importantantly cost for actual performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Malcom

The biggest challenge was getting Oracle Virtual Machine (OVM) stable. That took a few months and lots and lots of phone calls, emails, etc. back and forth between our infrastructure group and Oracle. But, knock on wood, it looks like we got past that hurdle.

There was also a lot of time and effort getting the Exadata tuned, grid control installed, and dataguard set up. We had a whole team set up just for that including two full-time Oracle consultants for several months. One big challenge for Oracle - they have Exadata guys, database guys, and JDE guys. But (until now), no guys that have put that all together. The heavy duty Exadata guys are used to setting up Exadata for data warehouses. Setting it up for On-line Transactional Processing (OLTP) is a whole different ballgame.

We helped Oracle break a lot of new ground so far. And as I mentioned earlier, this is just the warm-up act. This project will move 665 users from XE to 9.0. By 2013, when we are half way through, we'll have over 6000 users from two continents on it. Our current config is an overkill, but we are modeling the environment for the future.

- Gregg

Hi Gregg

Yes mate i totally agree that its very difficult to imaging ERP's like JDE to be on public cloud..... But in todays sceneario there are company who hosts all the server's for there client and in provide them all support for JDE 24*7 .....that is in term of CLoud Computing called "Private Cloud"..... Thanks Gregg and all the Guys for all your inputs.......Just wanted to check if i was walking on a correct path
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Gregg

Yes mate i totally agree that its very difficult to imaging ERP's like JDE to be on public cloud..... But in todays sceneario there are company who hosts all the server's for there client and in provide them all support for JDE 24*7 .....that is in term of CLoud Computing called "Private Cloud"..... Thanks Gregg and all the Guys for all your inputs.......Just wanted to check if i was walking on a correct path
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We won't see JDE hosted on a public cloud like Amazon's. Private clouds for outhosted JDE have been around for a while and will continue to grow. Our private cloud is on the leading edge but makes sense for our long term strategy.

- Gregg

Never say never. I can think of a handful of clients who might be candidates for this in the short or long term. There may already be one, but whether or not you ever hear about it is another story.

Feel free to contact me, though, if interested in hosting solutions where a public cloud is not desirable or not an option. This could be for any multitude of reasons (integrations, bandwidth costs, security needs or concerns, regulatory requirements, etc.)

Camo,
That announcement could potentially be a game changer! Amazon's service has been amazingly reliable, secure, and scalable.

If Amazon can do it right, I know several companies who would jump at it.

Back