Best Practice Data replication Prod->Dev

durhamjp

Hi everyone,
I was wondering what practices everyone else uses to refresh dev data from prod. How often do you refresh the data (or do you just do it when needed)? What tables, or what reports/versions do you run to refresh that data? Any other notes/suggestions?

My developers asked for the data to be refreshed regularly. When they are setting something up specifically for a new customer, they need orders/address book info for that new customer to test with. Right now I'm planning on using R98403|XJDE0021, and manually copying the next number tables (F0002 and the F00021), maybe monthly. Would I be missing anything?

Thanks for your help,
John Durham
Caito Food Service
ERP8.0 B7334 Upd1 SP 23PJ1
IBM I5 OS V5R3

The refresh frequency will depend on your situation. I have seen it done quarterly or on demand.

On an iSeries the easiest method would be to perform a backup of PRODDTA and PRODCTL and restore to your development libraries. This method will only take a couple of hours depending on your system. Obviously all users must be out of your Dev environments while this is happening. This process will replace your menus/solution explorer structure so either back those tables off and restore once the refresh is complete or make sure your environments are in synch first.
If you have ESUs applied to DV that are not in PD you will need to reapply them (without the spec merge) to make sure the changes are available. There is another thread on here that goes into more detail on that.

Hi John,

We do the following:

Dev: On demand, owned by the Development team
PY: On demand, owned by the Business Analyst team

That's also what I've seen at most of the places I've been at.

--
At my current location, we also have:

ST: Weekly, owned by the Training team
Replicated Prod: in Denver (Prod is in Seattle), accessed by BI and Business Analysts

John,
You could use version R98403|XJDE0022 for control tables (instead of manually copying F0002 & F00021).
PS I could not figure out why, but sometimes I HAVE to copy again table PRODDTA.F00022 (I do it manually).

Back