WebSphere Web Dev Objects Not Installing

jdel6654

VIP Member
I am running WS 6.1 Express on my dev clients.

We recently did a tools upgrade and noticed that the web dev instance on the dev fat client did not update. The package included the Web Dev feature in the deployment but for some reason it did not install.

What is the best way to get the web dev features installed with the least amount of disruption? I don't want to install again.

Rather than installing the package again, just run H461_setup.exe to install the web dev feature only. Unfortunately, there is no better way around this step.

BTW, what version of Tools Release did you install? I recall some special instructions where the path to the web dev feature was not right and had to be corrected by editing the INF file.

The WEBDEV does not upgrade. Once you install WAS 6.1 Express and then run the H461_setup.exe that's it .........you're now "static".

Unlike the full JAS (HTML) version there is no upgrade path for the WEBDEV "JAS" instance.

The guides also do not indicate that there is any follow up action to take but if you check the H461_setup.exe program is a different size on almost every tools release so that means it's changed!

So you should reinstall WEBDEV on EVERY new tools release. Now since there is no upgrade path you have 2 choices:

1. Rip and replace
2. Rip and replace

(choose one of the above 2 options).

So you could go into WAS, remove the Virtual Host and remove the Enterprise Application (don't need to remove the application server as WEBDEV uses server). Then manually delete the JAS folder under C:\E81X\. Then you could run the H461_setup.exe again.

OR........

You could just remove the WEBDEV (add/remove programs) and uninstall WAS 6.1 Express.

The WEBDEV uninstall don't work so well............just delete the JAS folder under C:\E81X\.

WAS 6.1 Express uninstalls for crap. SO try this:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v6r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.websphere.express.doc/info/exp/ae/tins_uninstallWindows.html

I simply delete and reinstall. I can handle about 5 Developer machines at a time in about 1 hour.

Colin

Back