Using BIP with E1

IanSewell

Hi I am new to BI though not to JDE and following a short training course (which admitedly was not very good) there are a number of things I want to do and questions I want to ask but can't seem to find any answers no matter how hard I try, so I thought I'd ask them here. Apologies if they sound stupid but its a case of needing to get up to speed very quick with BI to do what I need to do.

1) Our link into the JDE database does not take the Data Dictionary into account - alias, decimals etc. Is there a standard method of connecting to a JDE database that will or do I have to use a product like jdeDirect or do I just deal with it in the SQL?

2) Is there a decent step by step tutorial that anyone can recommned? I have the Oracle manuals but they are a bit dry and do not provide details and examples.

3) I am looking to create a simple Trial Balance as a first report which I can then use as a base for lots of other finnacial reports. The columns shown will be dependant on the period selected. If I use the @column function to hide the ones I don't want I will be hiding 22 of 24 columns at any one time. Is there a better way?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi Ian,

I'm no expert, but we have set this up and used it a bit. I think I can answer your first question. If you set up your connsction using the JDE Data Access Drive, then it helps you with the decimals and dates. We have found this driver to be quite limiting though. For example we couldn't do a nested select statement. We ended up just using the oracle jdbc driver and handling things through SQL.

Dave

Back