8.11 to 9.0 Ugrade - What to do with JAS Server?

MagarG

MagarG

VIP Member
Question: The HTML Server is already at the current Tools Release since 8.11 was at the latest Tools release. Can we just change the settings in the HTML Manage Instances to point to the new 9.0 release? If we click on an HTML Instance, for example, VH_JAS_81, we identified the following settings that would need to be changed.

Network Settings
----------------
Outgoing JDENET Port: 6013 to 6015

JDBJ Database Configuration
---------------------------
System Datasource Name: System - 811 to System - 900
Physical Database: SY811 to SY900

JDBJ Bootstrap Session
Bootstrap User: PSFT to JDE
Bootstrap Password: PSFT to JDE
Bootstrap Environment: PD811 to PD900

Interop Inbound Configuration
-----------------------------
?? Not sure about this one if a new port is in 9.0
Enterprise Server Port: 6079

Web Runtime
-----------
Path Codes: ('PD811') to ('PD900')
Default Environment: JPD811 to JPD900

Oracles recommendation was to create new ones for everything even a new managed home location possibly but I thought the Tools Release was independent of the Applications release. What do you typically do in an upgrade like this?

The Tools Release is, but the serialized objects are not. At the very least, you'll need to make sure there are no records in F989998 and F989999 in Central Objects - PD900.

It is a little unusual to be keeping the same Tools Release during an upgrade, but other than making sure that all the INI settings are pointing to the new places, and that the serialized objects are starting to generate from scratch, I don't see why it couldn't be done.

Some other places to make sure about:
- JAS.INI: [SECURITY] has the right data source and security server
- JDBJ.INI: correct settings for [JDBj-BOOTSTRAP DATA SOURCE]
- JDBJ.INI: since you are moving from 8.11, where you have to generate serialized objects manually, to 9.0, where they are generated automatically, check [JDBj-RUNTIME PROPERTIES] for autoDetectPackage and specGenerateOnDemand to make sure they are TRUE for 9.0.

I'm sorry I can't point to their equivalent Server Manager settings. I don't remember the page-by-page locations of these settings, and I don't have one handy to refer to. You should be able to look at the item help and see the flags I'm talking about.

If your current INTEROP settings aren't being used, then no reason to change it now.

Sounds good, yes, we were planning on wiping out the F98/9 tables.

We checked and those settings are not in there now, somehow the JAS Server installation must check your release level when you install it and adds those settings. We might just end up doing a new install to see what other ini settings are new.

Thanks.

Back