8.11 to 9.0 Upgrade Questions

MagarG

MagarG

VIP Member
We installed 9.0 on the current deployment server to a separate folder structure (\JDEdwards\E900). When we try to create our 9.0 upgrade plan for Pristine it says the System - 811 (previous version) is not there. How does the new installation of the 9.0 on the Deployment server know about 8.11 sitting on the same box? The manual says it should default automatically to System - 811 but none of our 811 datasources are in there. System - 811 is not in the selection list. If we type it in we get an Red Error message and cannot continue. Did we miss something somewhere?

The first thing to note is that you're not supposed to create an upgrade plan for Pristine. PS900 is supposed to be a completely out-of-the-box, new install plan. Think of it this way ... are there modifications in Pristine that you want to upgrade into 9.0?

On the larger point that System - 811 isn't there, you may find yourself manually creating both the data source in JDEPLAN, and the ODBC entry to point to it. Once those are in place, your upgrade plan should find it.

Once it knows how to get to System, it can import 8.11 data source table and find the rest of your data sources.

Confused now but it does make sense. This is from the "JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications Release 9.0 Upgrade Guide for DB2/400 on iSeries" indicating to choose Upgrade:

Mandatory Pre-Upgrade Process - Upgrading the Pristine Environment

Due to the hundreds of table conversions, which will run during the upgrade process, the process has changed to
run the table conversions on the server. The following process is necessary to run Table Conversions on the server.

Warning
The Pristine (PS900) environment must be installed prior to running Table Conversions. Each
step must be completed and checked off in the exact order listed below.

• Create an Upgrade Plan for the Pristine (PS900) environment.
• Follow the steps in the Starting Installation Planner section and create a plan for Pristine only.
• Run the Upgrade Plan just created for the Pristine (PS900) environment.

Note
• Table Conversions will not run when upgrading the Pristine (PS900) environment.

After looking at our Xe to 811 Pristine Plan from a couple years back it was also and Upgrade Plan.
confused.gif

That set of instructions is only a little bit off. Originally, upgrade plan table conversions ran only on the Deployment Server, because that was the only place that had the specs for the new version of E1.

Since 8.10, upgrade table conversions were allowed to run on the Enterprise Server because UBEs were faster running up there than locally on the Deployment Server. The only way to do that was to have a set of specs for the UBEs to run from, and services running.

That is why the first step is installing Pristine from scratch. It should not be an upgrade of the old version of Pristine.

Many years ago (approx. 11), I did just that, a plan that upgraded the Pristine environment. The CNC person from JDE who came to audit my installation reamed me for it.

The Prstine environment must be an upgrade plan - not a new install.

A new install asks for new nformation, you want the system to bring over what is currently there.

When yuo install JDE it creates registry entries so that's how the 9.00 Deployment Server knows that the last release was 8.11,

When you go into custom installation plans and select to add a plan it will default to "8.11" as the source.

Since you are on the same box it has all the ODBC (if SQL or AS400) and the rest of the configuration.

The entire purpose of the Pristine environment is to allow you to get something running on the Enterprise Server so you can use the power over there instead of just the Deployment server which can only do one conversion at a time.

This change started with release 8.9.

Sounds like you might have converted your 8.11 install from MSDE to SSE?

In this case the 9.00 install is trying to read an MSDE database when it should be reading an SSE database. What you need to do is go in and change the "Previous Planner" from MSDE to SSE - there is a solution ID document for this exact step.

I'm assuming you're not using OEE as the local repositiory on 9.0 otherwise this would not come up as an issue.

Also if you're on Windows 2008 then the ODBC's need to be configured as 32 bit and not 64 bit - there is a solution id for this as well (somewhere on the jungle).

When you go in next time and you get the error post the jde.log and that should reveal exactly what the issue is.

Colin

Thank for the replies.

>>Sounds like you might have converted your 8.11 install from MSDE to SSE?

Yes

>>In this case the 9.00 install is trying to read an MSDE database when it
>>should be reading an SSE database. What you need to do is go in and change
>>the "Previous Planner" from MSDE to SSE - there is a solution ID document
>>for this exact step.

I'll look into this.

>>I'm assuming you're not using OEE as the local repositiory on 9.0 otherwise
>>this would not come up as an issue.

Correct

>>Also if you're on Windows 2008 then the ODBC's need to be configured as 32 bit
>>and not 64 bit - there is a solution id for this as well (somewhere on the jungle).

No, 2003

We walked through the New Installation plan yesterday and said this can't be right because it was asking for all the new information like you said so I believe it should be an upgrade plan. I'll let you know what we find.

Colin,

[ QUOTE ]
In this case the 9.00 install is trying to read an MSDE database when it should be reading an SSE database. What you need to do is go in and change the "Previous Planner" from MSDE to SSE - there is a solution ID document for this exact step.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have an Doc ID# for his, having trouble locating it?

Thanks,

After looking at JDEPLAN900/F98611, the Planner - 811 is of type MSDE which is not correct.

Ok, got it corrected. It appears the delivered Planner - 811 datasource in JDEPLAN900/F98611 is defined as an MSDE datasource. This seems to be fundamental flaw in how they deliver 9.0. We corrected the entries on the backend and now System - 811 comes up in the Pristine Upgrade Plan. Thanks!

DS installation

we r installing DS on win 2k3 server sp1,r2.sql server 2005 as database,tools release 8.97.while validating plan,OL AND SYSTEM datasource is not present.amd while running installation workbench,it is unable to locate F986115 table while its there in utb.
pls help me out.

Back