SQL Server Datasource from an iSeries Enterprise Server

sashton

sashton

Reputable Poster
We are on an iSeries Enterprise Server, 9.0 TR 8.98.3.2. I am attempting to setup a System and Server Map data source to a SQL server running SQL 2008 Server. I am able to successfully setup the data source and gen tables to the SQL database from a fat client in OMW. A UBE is ran to dump data into tables in the SQL DB. When run locally from a Windows fat client, all works fine. But when the UBE is run from the server, iSeries, the connection to the SQL db is not made. The following error message is found in the JDE.log on the server:

2012/32 MAIN_THREAD Tue Nov 9 15:05:26.286952 runbatch.c1164
RUNBATCH: Remote CP=1252, Remote OS=5, Local CP=37, ConvertToASCII=0

2012/32 WRK:Starting jdeCallObject Tue Nov 9 15:05:26.804592 dbdrv_log.c196
OS400QL001 - ConnectDB:Unable to connect to DS 'Business Data - PowerTrack' in DB 'Business Data - PowerTrack' on Server DB 'WC-SQL-NT1' with RDB Name 'Not Applicable' via 'T' with Commitment 'N'. QCPFMSG *LIBL - CPE3425 - A remote host refused an attempted connect operation

2012/32 WRK:Starting jdeCallObject Tue Nov 9 15:05:26.804696 jdb_drvm.c921
JDB9900164 - Failed to connect to Business Data - PowerTrack

When searching Oracle support on this error, it mentions needing to setup the data source as a JDBNET data source. I am not convinced this is the issue and not sure how I would need to setup the source as a JDBNET source. On my first attempt, I am now receiving this is the jde.log:

2013/27 WRK:Starting jdeCallObject Tue Nov 9 15:25:04.227368 jdbnsnrc.c78
BNT0000126 - Unable to receive message - eConnectionFailed

2013/27 WRK:Starting jdeCallObject Tue Nov 9 15:25:04.227560 jdbnincn.c395
BNT0000026 - Unable to initialize remote server WC-SQL-NT1

2013/27 WRK:Starting jdeCallObject Tue Nov 9 15:25:04.227608 jdbnincn.c129
BNT0000364 - Unable to create JDBNET server connection to WC-SQL-NT1

2013/27 WRK:Starting jdeCallObject Tue Nov 9 15:25:04.227664 jdb_drvm.c921
JDB9900164 - Failed to connect to Business Data - PowerTrack

I am thinking this is an iSeries issue and that there must be a driver or something needed on the iSeries to communicate with the SQL db, but I am not sure. Can anyone shed some light on this one or provide a how to on how to setup a datasource to a SQL db from an iSeries Enterprise Server? Thanks.

Steven,

A while back I migrated a client from SQL to DB2/400. No special driver that I’m aware of other than the supported ODBC driver for iseries and SQL. I’m not entirely clear about your inquiry but if you just want to change the flag on the JDBJNET field you could just SQL the F98611 and change OMJDBNET to ‘N’ if currently ‘Y’ if that’s what your trying to achieve. What UBE are you trying to run on the server? I assume when your copying the system DS from DB2/400 to SQL your running the UBE locally.

Michael

You will not be able to run the UBE from the iSeries because the iSeries has no native way to talk to a SQL Server database. You will have to setup a JDBNET server and configure your necessary data sources to use JDBNET, which I don't recommend because it's very slow, or run the UBE locally, which is normally the case when transfering data from one database platform to another using R98403.

A JDBNET connection is required. It is slower than direct database access but for relatively low volumes of data it would probably do the job. To configure JDBNET access to SQL server you will need a Wintel JDE enterprise server install. That server would be configured with the SQL client. Data requests would then flow from the iSeries to the Wintel server via JDBNET.

I have used this approach with good results to go from iSeries to Unix, iSeries to Windows and Unix to iSeries. In fact, I have a 9.0 instance on my iSeries lab machine that boots and runs completely "diskless" except for binaries. All of its data comes via JDBNET from an Oracle database running on an AIX box with a Wintel JDE server in the middle to bridge the gap. This setup adds about 30% to my full package build times but otherwise works perfectly.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think this will get me pointed in the right direction.

Back