Linux web servers - FTP access to Media Objects

gregglarkin

gregglarkin

Legendary Poster
Hi List

I'm having a hard time tracking down the following tidbit of information. Oracle's knowledge jungle is a bit vague on this, go figure.

If your web server is on Linux, and your Media Objects is on a windows server, you need to set up FTP access to upload attachments into Media Objects. But how do you configure that? Anonymous access or a service account? What level permissions? Where do you set FTP permissions? Where is the Oracle document that lays out this configuration? Has anyone seen this elusive document and can share the knowledge jungle id for this elusive unicorn?

- Gregg

Here you go:

https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=NOT&doctype=BULLETIN&id=845387.1

Per that document you can run either anonymous ftp or authenticated. It doesn't discuss FTP permissions. When using IIS as the FTP server I usually run the IIS service under a local service account. The FTP user and permissions are driven by windows account that you configure the JAS to login to FTP with. I generally create a local account like "mediaobj" and grant it read/write authority to the media object directory.

We recently used 845387.1 and 632124.1 to setup FTP and move media objects to a Solaris server. In their documents Oracle says they recommend using Windows for the FTP server, but I'm not sure why it makes a difference. We went ahead with Solairs and it seems to be working fine.

One thing that took a little figuring out was how to create the path string in P98MOQUE. The target directory is something like /u00/ftpuser/MEDIAOBJ, but when creating the string in P98MOQUE I had to replace forward-slashes with back-slashes and then it worked. For example: \\SERVERNAME\u00\ftpuser\MEDIAOBJ.

David

Back