Orace is now charging to convert from Bluestack to Redstack

pshearer

A client had me on a call today with Oracle today. Apparently Oracle is now charging a not-so-inconsequential uplift to convert from Bluestack to Redstack. The rep said the free swap to Redstack ended on Aug 31 of this year. (Guess they are trying to break even on the BEA deal this year.) Another interesting point coming out of the call is that Oracle said Websphere would continue to be supported through 2016.

Anyone else recently dealt with Oracle on this?

[ QUOTE ]
A client had me on a call today with Oracle today. Apparently Oracle is now charging a not-so-inconsequential uplift to convert from Bluestack to Redstack. The rep said the free swap to Redstack ended on Aug 31 of this year. (Guess they are trying to break even on the BEA deal this year.) Another interesting point coming out of the call is that Oracle said Websphere would continue to be supported through 2016.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well they are in the business of selling software and maintenence fees. Can't blame a company for not giving away their software for free.

- Gregg

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The part about the charge to go from Blue to Red is not surprising. Several people noted on my post on LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&gid=63023&type=member&item=34096895&qid=039a8443-d430-45e6-a136-7685c4f89866&goback=.gmp_63023) that they didn't think the withdrawal of Blue Stack is a big deal but I think it is for the exact reasons you mention above. Many customers have very favorable licensing arrangements centered on Tech Foundation and seat licensing that Oracle must continue to honor. Having not been able to move them off of the seat licensing, I think they are going to try to pull Tech Foundation out from under them, albeit slowly.

In regards your comment about WAS support see this article:

http://blog.karamazovgroup.com/2010/10/oracle-withdraws-enterpriseone-tech.html

Interesting times.

Have you ever read (or listened to) the book "FREE"? It's about how organizations have made Zillions by giving away 'free' stuff (and been compensated by service agreements, on site advertising, add-ons and....).

Very interesting - if you have time for it (and the book was a Free Download from Audible, for a while)

Imagine if EnterpriseOne were free and what Larry would charge for that updated Service Agreement? WOW!

(db)

Agreed to a point. My problem is that they a using creative ways to screw existing clients whom they have determined "have too good of a deal." I think there business model was copy directly from the cell phone industry. "Oh, I'm sorry. That replacement cell phone will not work on your current service plan. The new service plan is $20 more per month. Cancel the service? I'm sorry but your cell phone is under contract as well for another six months. That will be a $300 early termination fee unless you upgrade to the more expensive plan."

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed to a point. My problem is that they a using creative ways to screw existing clients whom they have determined "have too good of a deal." I think there business model was copy directly from the cell phone industry. "Oh, I'm sorry. That replacement cell phone will not work on your current service plan. The new service plan is $20 more per month. Cancel the service? I'm sorry but your cell phone is under contract as well for another six months. That will be a $300 early termination fee unless you upgrade to the more expensive plan."

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so, but add a whole lot more Zeros......

Not to mention that I don't have to apply ESU's to my cell phone, or act as a beta tester for released code on my cell phone;-)

[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention that I don't have to apply ESU's to my cell phone, or act as a beta tester for released code on my cell phone;-)

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously don't have a Droid...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously don't have a Droid...

[/ QUOTE ]

or an iPhone.....

Back