Oracle Announces End of IBM Tech Stack Reselling for Net New JD Edwards Customers

So it begins.

Seriously, snow in canada was about as predictable as this.

Malcolm

"Oracle continues to offer Oracle Technology Foundation for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne (aka, “Red Stack”) and JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Core Tools and Infrastructure. "

And based on my current experience with the OVM portion of the red stack, it's a WONDERFUL product. So very stable.....

More kool-aid? mmmm mmm good

With the understanding of the pros/cons for replatforming, does anybody have comments on how impactful this announcement is for IBM customers? I understand the support announcement and agree it makes sense. Why should Oracle sell IBM products? Kind of like BMW selling new Mercedes. However, does anybody have an opinion as to what the 2016 announcement really means?

Opinion? yea, I've got lots of those...
grin.gif

JDE as a stand alone company, tried to be operating system and database agnostic. Pretty cool concept. Oracle now owns a piece of the whole stack:

Hardware (sun/exadata, exalogic).
Operating System (their own flavor of Linux Redhat). Database (Oracle 11Gr2).
Application (JDE).
VM environment (Oracle Virtual Machine).
Middleware (Fusion).
Third party apps (Hyperion, Seibol)
Application server (weblogic).
Java (Sun JDK and BEA Jrocket).

Oracle wants you to go "all in" on the Red stack. My management team went that direction. So far, other than OVM, it's working fairly well.

- Gregg

Gregg,

I actually met somebody from Prax at OpenWorld but cannot remember her name and I am well aware of the direction you guys took (are taking) but still looking for opinions on the 2016 date. Do others (including yourself) think Oracle will completely cut off support to IBM customers meaning the blame game starts for support calles between Oracle and IBM?

We are doing a major reimplementation starting next year that is global in nature across 60 sites and it will take about 2 to 3 years putting us closer to 2016. As of today, we are heavily invested in the AS400 in terms of knowledge base, experience, and hardware itself.

Back