Anyone running JDE E1 V9/8.98 on a 9406 270?

shurtle

We are looking at acquiring a used IBM iSeries 9406 270-2432 as a separate JDE E1 installation test box for testing tools release upgrades, security changes, etc. Anyone still running a 270 with JDE E1? I saw some old posts that there were people running JDE E1 on a 270 in the past. We are running V9.0/8.98.2.4. This would not be used for development; we have a 520 LPAR setup for DV and PY.

shurtle,

You won't find many, if any at all. The 270 supports only through V5R4 which ends support in 2011. Moving forward you will need V6R1/V7R1 which will not run on a model 270.

If you are looking for a used box, you really should get at least a Power5 520 so it can last more than a year. And have you looked at how cheaply you can get a new Power7 720?

-Ethan

Ethan,

Thanks for the feedback. I am aware that the 720 only supports up to V5R4, but I wasn't aware that support for V5R4 would end in 2011. From this IBM web page, it says end of support is to be announced. Do you have other information? I realize this server would only be for a year or two, we are trying to get something that would only be a lab server and as cheap as possible.

http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/i/planning/software/i5osschedule.html

http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/i/planning/upgrade/suptschedule.html
As you can see all releases have had an end of support ~5 years from GA date. V5R4 has already had 2 end of support dates canceled due to large users dragging their feet. IBM has made a concerted effort these past 12 months to get those large customers (which is really who IBM pays attention to) to upgrade, quite successfully. My last large customer is scheduled to upgrade in Q1 '11. With the aforementioned knowledge, it is a safe bet that end of 2011 will be the end of support for V5R4. You can wager otherwise, but would management be happy if you are on the losing side of that bet?
This article estimates at least 1st quarter 2012 and maybe longer. But with IBM phasing out support, do you think Oracle will support V5R4 for much longer either? That defeats your stated intention of this box.
Get a used 520... I know some good resellers, send me a private message or email if you want their contact info.

-Ethan

Thank you for the information. That opens some other can of worms if we will need to do an OS upgrade end of next year or early 2012.

Quote I saw today from the Chief Architect of IBM i, Steve Will, in the IBM Systems Magazine November 2010 edition, "5.4 will go off service around 2012."

Thanks for the update. I wish he had been a little more specific about when in 2012.....

Back