Help on AP check

janicej

Well Known Member
I'm doing my very first BI Publisher job and it's the AP check, R04572. My problem is that we use the check format where the check prints in the middle with a stub above and a stub below it. I can't get the check to anchor in one place. It wants to move up and down depending on the number of lines on the top stub. The check information is laid out in a table on the Word RTF file. Does anyone have an idea about how to anchor the check at 3.66" from the top of the page? We are testing 9.0 with tools release 8.98.2.3 hopefully preparing for go-live soon.

Can you be more specific with the layout of the check? Especially which areas are variable height.

Does the check get printed on the 1st or last page?

What gets printed above and below the check area?

What I'm getting at is... Other than the position, what else determines the position of the check area?

You can anchor the check area to the 1st page. In which case, you can fix its location relative to the 1st page header but you have to ensure that the 1st page header does not contain items which would cause its area to change - like a table that grows.

Or, you can anchor the check area to the last page relative to the last page footer. This, it is the last page footer that you must ensure wouldn't change.

I have a variable length table at the top that holds the stub information. The length is determined by how many vouchers are entered for that vendor. The check is in the middle of the page. There is another variable length stub at the bottom that matches the one at the top. We mail one stub with the check and keep one for our records. The whole thing is on one page, unless there is stub overflow. In that case, the stub is continued on another page (not check stock). Because of MICR encoding and pre-perforated check stock, I need the check to print on the exact same place on each page.

So, based on what you're saying, it doesn't sound like I can anchor the check position? If I can talk my company into changing check format then I can anchor the check to the top of the page and have two variable length stubs after it? The first would mail with the check and the second would be kept for our records. Wouldn't I have the same issue with stub positioning?

If either the top or the bottom stub is fixed (does not have a variable length table or data), you can anchor the check area to the fixed stub.

If the top stub is fixed, place the top stub in the header area and make the check area the main body. Then, you can adjust the height of the header to precisely position the top of check area.

If the bottom stub is fixed, place the check area in the footer area. Then adjust the height of the footer to position the top of check area. Of course, you should also place the bottom stub within the footer area and below the check area.

So the check area is on the 1st page and must be anchored relative to the top - it shouldn't move if the top stub overflows. I found this article in the BIPublisher blog. I haven't tried it myself but it seems appropriate to your situation. It deals with setting up a fixed length table - only print the 1st n records and insert spaces/breaks if the table has less than n records (http://blogs.oracle.com/xmlpublisher/2007/03/anatomy_of_a_template_i_fixed.html).

That blog looks like it might do the trick. Thanks a lot for the information. I'll let you know how it goes.

Back