Schedule package deployments

GregAndrews

I was wondering if there is a way to schedule a package update to PD on the deployment server at a certain time.

Greg,

Are you asking if you can have the Deployment server "start" the update build of a PD package based on some time you designate?

May I ask your reason, what are you trying to accomplish?

Yes. Alex Pastuhov (http://www.everestsoftint.com/) has several pieces of software designed to automate the deployment of packages. Autodeploy is the main product that automates deployment. The build still has to occur beforehand - but there are a number of options that you can take to try and "feed" a list of objects to a standard package name...

There is also a tool called PackMan which you can use to schedule the build and deployment automatically. Has stuff like email notification etc....

My goal is to not have to sit on my laptop late at night deploying package updates. I would like to build the package and then automatically deploy them at a certain time.

It is tricky coordinating all of the steps but entertain this thought...
- You build the package and deploy it to a single Citrix server (I'm assuming you are speaking of Citrix clients)
- You then copy this updated PD package directory to all of the production Citrix machines but give it a different name like PD7333.new.
- You schedule a reboot at say midnight, which guarantees everyone is off the machine. (if you want to get more intelligent about it you could send a 10 minute warning notice and bump them off using Citrix commands to clear sessions)
- You rename the PD7333 folder to PD7333.old and rename PD7333.new to PD7333.
All of this can be done with batch files and windows scheduler.
*Now granted this can all be done much more elegantly with more thought, but as suggested by the "wise ones" in the other posts, there are some canned programs that do all of this for you.

You still can't run from CNC = "Late at night", I'm just sayin'!

What if the Build failed? - there's no software that can tell you that with 100% accuracy ;-(

There will always be some manual steps...

No, but you can have the program build the package, send you the logs, and when you authorize that the package built successfully, then schedule the package deployment to automatically occur later on....

Using the PackMan tool some of our customers build and deploys their update packages, effectively without any human involvment. The tool sutomates the assembly, build and deployment of the update package.
If the package fails or succeeds they are notified by email...so it is possible.

Hi,

I'm sorry to bump this thread but for future reference to PACKMAN.

http://www.forzaconsulting.eu/solutions.aspx

Product Overview

smile.gif

Back