Enable Multiple Browsers

sashton

sashton

Reputable Poster
Is there a way to allow users to login to multiple instances of E1 on 8.12 8.98 at the same time? I see there is a "Enable Multiple Browsers" option in the web runtime setup, but this appears to only allow users to login to, say, PD three times. It does not allow a user to login to DV and then open a session in PY. Anyone have a solution?

Appears it might be a browser issue? I noticed that if I login to DV in IE, I can also login to PY in Firefox. But if I try to run DV and PY in IE using tabbed views, I get expired session once I login on the second environment.

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a way to allow users to login to multiple instances of E1 on 8.12 8.98 at the same time? I see there is a "Enable Multiple Browsers" option in the web runtime setup, but this appears to only allow users to login to, say, PD three times. It does not allow a user to login to DV and then open a session in PY. Anyone have a solution?

Appears it might be a browser issue? I noticed that if I login to DV in IE, I can also login to PY in Firefox. But if I try to run DV and PY in IE using tabbed views, I get expired session once I login on the second environment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stephen,

your browsers are performing as designed. there are some long drawn out technical explanations having to do with cache and ports and carp like like that. You mentioned using two different browsers. That's one way to get around it, but that makes your setup on your computer more complicated. If you have a strong need for that set up, I have three other more conventional ways around the issue:

1) Have the user use two computers. I have a laptop and a desktop for when I need to do something like that.

2) use citrix - set up a couple of citrix applications going to your various pathcodes. then you can launch a citrix session for PY and another for DV.

3) or for the truely geeky - set up a couple of virtual machines on your desktop and then use your different virtual sessions to access the different pathcodes.

- Gregg

Do you have separate JAS servers for each environment you want to access? I have separate JAS servers as well as separate enterprise servers for each environment. I can sign into DV, PY, QA and PD all in the same IE session using tabs with no problems.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can you not open a browser, enter the URL for DV and log on, then open another tab (or another browswer), enter the URL for PY and log on?

Do you have separate JAS instances for each environment?

The reason why you cannot log into two different environments at the same time is because browser is sharing cache across these two environments and for example if you log to PD and then you log to DV, the second login invalidates the caches for PD.

The possible solution are:

1. IE 8.0 has a new option – from file menu click on “new session” this will open new IE window that do not share cache with already running browsers

2. Use different host names for different environments: so http://name_pd:81/jde/owhtml/ is login for PD and http://name_dv:82/jde/owthml/ is login for DV – both name_pd and name_dv may resolve to the same IP address but it will still do the trick as browser will create new cache for each site

3. Use different browsers eg. IE for login to PD and Firefox for login to DV

Hope this may help you

Browser tabs share the same scope of cookies, so each tab is overwriting the data in the cookie(s) of the other tab, which is causing the timeout issue. It's likely that this timeout issue is merely the first problem related to how browser tabs and cookies work in EnterpriseOne, since EnterpriseOne was not designed to support this.
It is working as designed. There is no configuration for JAS that will change this behavior. If it is necessary for users in your organization to be logged into and work in two separate JAS sessions for two separate E1 environments concurrently, then you may try a viable workaround to have them log into one using IE and the second using Firefox. Otherwise, users are limited to one login at a time from a single workstation when working with a single browser version.

I indeed have separate instances but they are on the same server, separated by port number. 81 for DV, 82 for PY, and 83 for PD. If I do as you say, and login to DV, open a tab and login to PY, my DV session expires on me.

Jeff is right,

if you launch 2 browsers independently, and just paste the url for the separate instance it all works fine.

I have the same issue...this is straight from the Powers That Be:
Browser tabs share the same scope of cookies, so each tab is overwriting the data in the cookie(s) of the other tab, which is causing the timeout issue. It's likely that this timeout issue is merely the first problem related to how browser tabs and cookies work in EnterpriseOne, since EnterpriseOne was not designed to support this.

It is working as designed.There is no configuration for JAS that will change this behavior. If it is necessary for users in your organization to be logged into and work in two separate JAS sessions for two separate E1 environments concurrently, then you may try a viable workaround to have them log into one using IE and the second using Firefox. Otherwise, users are limited to one login at a time from a single workstation when working with a single browser version.

No go. Unless I use two different browsers, IE and Firefox, for example, it expires one session when I login on the other. It appears it would have to be a browser issue of some sort?

From memory this is because IE uses a common cache setup. I vaguely remember a registry hack to prevent IE from re-using the cache between seperate open instances of the browser

It is working as designed. There is no configuration for JAS that will change this behavior. If it is necessary for users in your organization to be logged into and work in two separate JAS sessions for two separate E1 environments concurrently, then you may try a viable workaround to have them log into one using IE and the second using Firefox. Otherwise, users are limited to one login at a time from a single workstation when working with a single browser version.

I really don't see why there is a need to login into one environment using IE and another in Firefox. Our IT staff and users login into different environments at the same time all the time by just logging into the second environment by opening another IE window (not tab).

This is a browser issue, not E1. There is a lot of chatter in the interweb tubes about the change that MS made to IE8 that caused "session merging" that causes all the cookies on one "session" (not window or tab) to be shared. The way around it (using one browser installation) is to either File-->New Session in IE (which will launch a new window) or to iexplore.exe and include the start flag "-nomerge".

There was a browser or registry hack for it in IE7, but I can't for the life of me find it.

HTH,
Matt

What version of IE are you using? 7 or 8? I think the consensus here is that this is certainly a browser issue and not an E1 issue, so now I am just trying to figure out the best workaround with browsers...i.e. IE7 supports multiple windows but not tabs, one session in IE and one session in Firefix, IE8 doesn't work, etc.

We are using IE7. We can log in DV in one window, PY in another and PD in yet another all at the same time with no issues. Our DV and PY JAS instances reside on the same physical server and PD on two separate load balanced servers.

That makes sense. So it is an IE 8 issue. Works just fine with IE 6 or 7. So as others mentioned they have done a caching or merging of cookies with IE 8 that will not allow you to login to more than one instance. If anyone finds a workaround for IE 8 let me know. Thanks everyone for your responses.

Back