WAS versus OAS versus WLS

jasper_jde

We all know WAS and OAS have failry similar capabilities as the we application server for EntepriseOne and now Weblogic server is also in the mix - has anyone seen any documents that properly look in to the pros and cons of these options ?

There was a great white paper on that topic published and availible in the jdetips document library. I didn't write it, but there is another person that contributes to this forum who did. He might share it if he wants to come out of retirement.

i just checked back i cant see anything in jdetips on this now - do you remember who it was that wrote this ?

The article was called "Red Stack vs Blue Stack: Oracle Technical Foundation for JDE E1" author Charles Anderson.

Yes, that article was written over two years ago and doesn't really cover WLS, beyond commenting on the Oracle acquisition of BEA.

As of Tools 8.98.2.0, IIRC, WebLogic is thus far supported only on Linux x64 (OEL or Red Hat), with other platform support on the way. Getting a WLS server up and running was on par with OAS in simplicity, but not nearly as simple as deploying Hyperion (Oracle EPM) apps to WLS - perhaps Oracle will develop some WLST scripts to automate the domain creation and app deployment via Server Manager - we'll see, but I'm not holding my breath.

That is about as far as I've gone with it though - might write an article on WLS clustering with E1 one of these days. You just never know what I'll do...including going into and coming out of "retirement".

Charles,

could you please point me to a good Installation Manual for OAS on Windows. I am installing E900 with 8.98 tools and have some difficulties understanding the Web part.

Thanks, Gerd

Back