Object Refresh

adeel

VIP Member
Hello there

After objects refresh from PD to DV, how to check whether the objects is refreshed? I went to fat client and looked the object date in object librarian but the date on the DV objects is not same as object date in PD. Does this mean objects not refreshed?

Please advice.

Thanks

Hi adeel,

#0. What is your release, SP/TS level, platform, etc.?
#1. What do you mean "objects refresh from PD to DV"? How did you do that?
#2. Which date did you compared on objects?

Help us to help you.

Regards,

Zoltán

As part of the path code refresh did you remove the records for the DV path code in the F9861 and replace them with the records for objects in the PD path code? Depending what release you are on there are UBEs that will help do this for you like R9861.

Thanks for the response so far. Sorry for incomplete information.
The Tool release is 8.96 (Fat client).
Application release E812

I dont see R9861.
Also the CNC person never did that refresh before so they just removed all files from development folder and copy the PD database to DV database

But i dont see the changes on the object librian as the date is not similar for objects.

Please help.

Thanks

Hi Adeel,

[ QUOTE ]
they just removed all files from development folder

[/ QUOTE ]

Q1. Do you mean Operating System files and folders?
Q2. On wichh server did they do? On the Deployment Server?

[ QUOTE ]
copy the PD database to DV database

[/ QUOTE ]

It is cloudy for me.
Previously you mentioned file & folders - now talk about copying database. Do you mean files & folders instead of database? If yes, this won't change anything in the database Central Objects F9860, F9861, etc. tables.

Please, clarify for us exactly what do they did?

Regards,

Zoltán

Here is the answer
Q1. Do you mean Operating System files and folders?
All information i have is that they removed the files from
DV812 folder not operation system.

Q2. On wichh server did they do? On the Deployment Server?
I dont know but i assume yes. I will confirm later.

Q.copy the PD database to DV database
This also done so user can have testing on the DV environment with the latest data from production e.g HR/FIN up to date data.

Lets make it simple i have one object e.g R77410 in DV which is messed up and i want PD object in DV. How i can do that?

Thanks Alot all of your help and concern so far.

Thanks

Coo

If you only need to restore one object R77410 from PD to DV, my release of OMW provides "Advanced Get" button to do so.

Hi Loue

Thanks for the response. I did what you said under <Row> Advanced Get. Which asked me that This will overright my local specification and i kept continue. The error is function missing. See attachment.
I dont know what is messed up.

Thanks

AD

Attachments

• 156411-JDE.JPG
    156411-JDE.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 112
Mind my Monday negativity, but, personally I think your DV environment is totally messed-up. Why? Because it seems your CNC did not follow the Create New (or Update) Environment procedure. Even experienced CNC need help from people who create environments for a living.
PS Refreshing Objects is not as easy as refreshing Data!

I agree with Adrian (might be Tuesday negativity - it's Tuesday now in Australia). If you don't know what you are doing you can effectively destroy the pathcode. The problem is that this will effect all environments that use that pathcode. In addition, depending on how badly things have been corrupted, it may effect tables that are used for the entire system.

I hope the system was backed up, before the changes were attempted.

I remember seeing some instructions for refreshing business and control data on JDEList, but I'm not sure about refreshing a pathcode.

As Adrian infers - your CNC needs to read and follow the appropriate manual!

Thanks for the comments, I hope the pathcode is not bad as you guys thinking, This is the only object i noticed have this error. So you guyz thinking the DV is messed and i should not even deploy other objects in PV and PD?

I should get come courses specifically for the architeture of JDE.

Thanks

AD

AD,

All I can say is that, if it was me, I would be satisfying myself that the refresh of the pathcode was done successfully, completely and in accordance with the instructions in the manual, before I promoted any objects from that refreshed pathcode.

[ QUOTE ]
AD,

All I can say is that, if it was me, I would be satisfying myself that the refresh of the pathcode was done successfully, completely and in accordance with the instructions in the manual, before I promoted any objects from that refreshed pathcode.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back in the day whole environment refreshes were commonplace, utilized both as a go-live step and as a way of ensuring that environments before PD in the SDLC were synchronized. It worked and in the absence of a true object management tool, was pretty useful. Whole methodologies developed around this practice. With the introduction of OMW and subsequent understanding of how to manage a SDLC in EnterpriseOne the use of the practice seems to have dwindled. I know that, due to the possible issues like those highlighted here, I no longer utilize the "whole environment refresh" method except as a repair tool.

If the SDLC is properly followed - Development in DV, testing in PY, production in PD with other environments, both data-only and full, thrown in for various training, testing, new module implementation purposes, one would not need to do object refreshes or object promotions using object copies. OMW and its transfer activity rules (I prefer 'em vanilla thanks) will handle the objects being where they need to be.

Now, having said that I will provide below a rough sketch of an old school environment refresh that may perhaps help you figure out what you did right, what you possibly didn't do and what you can do to fix it.

Control Tables Copy - Use R98403. Pretty standard but slow. I use database tools now.

Central Objects Copy - Use R98403. Make sure that you are not going to orphan objects by ensuring that any object has been promoted all the way to the source environment. Also, make sure you do not have objects checked out in the target environment.

Versions Copy - Use R9830512. Same as above.

Deployment Server Path Code Copy - Use R9800942. See paper linked below for details.

OL Records Update - Use R989861. You must do this to ensure Object Librarian is aware of changes. This may be the step you missed.

Business Data Copy - R98403. I no longer use the R98403.

User Overrides - A version of R98403 with data selection for F98950.

Solution Explorer - P9864A if you are pre-8.12. Comes over with Control Tables is you don't specify proper data selection.

Package Build - Yep.

Here is a link to a paper written to do a complete environment refresh from PD to PY years ago:

http://jeffstevenson.karamazovgroup.com/2010/03/very-old-style-enterpriseone.html

Much of this is done differently nowadays so if something seems strange just. Hopefully this will help you figure out what happened and how to fix it.

Thanks alot for the information provided. I will forward your post to the person who did refresh etc.

Here are some question in my mind as i am not experience JDE person.

As brother_of_karamazov mentioned that if everyone follow the steps example development in DV and Test in PY. I totally agree on that point. But in real world what happens that e.g if Programmer A developed and deploy object in PY and 3 months after users says it is not correct and now task come to Programmer B, and programmer B does not know what exact changes done by Programmer A example alignment of reports, adding functionality etc. (I know we can do the ER Compare but it is long process). programmer B would be happy to work on the task from skrectch meaning fresh copy of object from PD. As we dont have sourcesafe in JDE and only way is that bring the object from PD. That is the reason we need object refresh from PD, Someone mentioned on the post do the Advanced Get. I tried that but same error.

Other concern is if CNC applies ESU in DV for testing for users then programmers should not develop and deploy objects in PY and PD because the ESU is not upto date in PY and PD, deployment might caused an issue.
I guess kind of process for everyone to follow.Please correct me if i wrong.

One question from Group is that what is exactly local specification means? When ER compare DV object with local specification it shows the comparision. Does this mean the objects in the user machine?

Thanks
AD

Back