E1 8.11 Upgrade to Tools 8.98.2 IE8 introduces the Flashing Screen

Terry DeMoure

Terry DeMoure

VIP Member
We have a new issue that I wanted to check to see if any of you experienced with the Tools Upgrade. When a Customer Service Representative in our Sales/Marketing Department is working with a very large and complex sales order; occasionally they are getting an IE 8 Script Error and there screens start to flash like a slow strobe. It has only happened on a couple machines but seems to go with the user and the order. In one recent case, the CSR experienced the screen flashing every time she brought the order up on her machine. I invited to my office where I brought the order up and experienced no flashing. I logged off E1 on my machine and she logged into E1 with her login on my machine and again it flashed but on my machine,

Today it happened again on another sales order and this time the user received the scripting error , and that is why we mentioned scripting. I asked our techs to check IE 8 settings and they did not find anything out of the ordinary. I am getting ready to log issue with My Oracle Support but I thought I would drop you guys a line to see if you have ever experienced this problem. I have attached a WMV file if it will let me to demonstrate.

Please advise.

Does the user have any custom grids (i.e. user overrides) for that app? If so try copying the custom grids from the user in question to yoour user id and see if the issue occurs or try removing them from the user for that app and see if it goes away.

Hi,
We are on 8.98.0.3 tools and also observed the "STOP- SCRIPT/ Continue" error in IE6/Firefox2.0 when working with P42101 application for Cancelled SO.
Oracle is working on this issue under SAR# 8953802.

Thanks for the info. We opened SR 3-1470637721: "Flashing" Sales Order/IE8 and I have updated it with your SAR number.
grin.gif

The Customized Grids were found not to be the problem.

It was suggested by a colleague at another company, whom also recently upgraded their Tools release, to check out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175500 , which suggests an identified problem with IE8 and recommends some minor modifications to the registry. We tried this fix on a couple users and it worked great…at preventing the scripting error window from displaying, but did nothing on the flashing screen problem.

Late yesterday I was contacted here in this thread where they indicated they too were experiencing the same problems on 8.98.0.3 Tools, where they too had and also observed the "STOP- SCRIPT/ Continue" error in IE6/Firefox2.0 when working with P42101 application for Cancelled SO. This other company reported that Oracle is working on this issue under SAR# 8953802. Oracle had advised them that it is a known issue; unfortunately, they also added there is no known workaround.

This morning our SR was updated indicating that Oracle is working on a solution for this, but it would be unrealistic to give us an expected completion date. We were told to just keep checking every few weeks to see if the fix (an ESU) is ready to apply.

Any ideas?

Do you think that I will really go to our Marketing department and tell them we will just have to let them know every couple weeks, whether or not we can fix the problem, and when we do, they can resume working on these sales orders with flashing removed.

Please advise.

We have got the same problem here, when IE8 or Firefox 3.6 is used. It seems to be related to the settings on the HTML server. When we use the standard value of "Grid Global Page Size" (10) in "Web Runtime" it doesn't flash anymore. As soon as we increase that value it starts to flash, if the order contains cancelled or kit lines.

We have got the same problem with 8.12 and 8.98 1.2.
When using IE8 or Firefox 3.6 the program flashes and is giving the script failure.
It seems that the error is related to the "Grid Global Page Size" parameter on the HTML server. When that parameter is set to the standard 10 lines it doesn't flash anymore.

Here is an update:

Oracle has had numerous reports of this problem.

Oracle replies this is a known issue and is addressed in SAR 8953802. Customer will wait for the SAR to be included in an ESU or Tools Release.

Advised Oracle to please escalate severity because this issue is preventing us from modifying/updating some sales orders.

More to come.

Newest Update as of 3:15pm PST Wednesday, February 14th 2010:

Oracle has opened a new SAR for our Flickering SO issue. It is SAR 8954518.

Oracle said our issue is different than the other issue, in that we are using English and the original SAR is for a similar problem that happens when using Arabic.

Oracle said an analyst will probably be assigned by this afternoon.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

We are very close to a solution; however, I need more clout. Could any JDE users across the globe, that have experienced this same problem or similar, please email me at [email protected] and provide company name and JDE version and TR version. I will not release individual names or email addresses.

With a little more push we can get Oracle to put this issue to bed.

Update received from Oracle today:

1. The new SAR is 8955985 "Scroll Bar Jumps in IE8."
2. We should just keep looking every few weeks to see when the ESU is ready.

I was not really happy with the wait and have requested escalation.

We are pressuring Oracle for expeditious completion of this ESU. The only temporary work around we have found is to downgrade all users back to IE7 which we really do not want to do. I have received correspondence from dozens of Oracle JD Edwards users on 8.10, 8.11, 8.12, and 9.0 all recently upgrading to Tools Release 8.98.2 experiencing the same problem. If you have opened a SR or are contemplating doing so, please add SAR 8955985 into the body of text in your SR. The more that Oracle hears about this problem, the quicker they will complete their fix to it.

One other quick note, I searched on My Oracle Support under JD Edwards Patches and Updates section this morning searching by the SAR number 8955985 and nothing comes up. I can only assume that it should appear momentarily.

We are also seeing flashing grids on the P31113 (WO Issues), and sometimes on PO Receipts (P4312) and PO Match (P4314). We're on E1 9.0 with TR 8.98.2.3, and clients are on IE8 (though we also saw this behavior on Firefox 3.5).

As a bandaid, we reverted our clients from IE8 back to IE7, and that stopped the flashing/jumping on the grid.

Oracle Support left me a message last night that SAR 8955985 would not be searchable on My Oracle Support Patches and Updates until the ESU was completed and released. I am sorry for the misinformation.

I responded that I felt that I being required to login into My Oracle Support to search every few days to status this fix was unacceptable. If the search came up empty, I would know the fix was not completed. If the search brought up an ESU, I would know it was completed. This method of statusing would not suffice our user community, whom have patiently been waiting for this problem to be resolved.

The support technician replied that these are the normal procedures for DMC and all of their clients. The process of releasing an ESU is not an easy one and is time consuming. I would have to understand that when an ESU is released, it has several fix or objects within it. Each one has to be tested and proven to be a successful fix. Then the ESU install has to be tested. The technician went on to say that we in support have no control of ESUS, ASUS, SP or TRS, testing or ETAS. I was encouraged to contact our account manager to engage them in helping us track the SAR until completion.

I did contact our Account Manager this morning and he is now looking into the matter. I suggest that any of you that have deluged me with emails about your similar experiences with flashing screens, TR 8.98.2 and newer, and IE8 do the same and have your respective account manager monitor progress on this SAR 8955985. The Oracle Developers were able to recreate this problem in the lab and acknowledged their urgent need to resolve the problem. We just need to continue our pressure for expedient resolution.

Terry, that's a ridiculous answer from Oracle. I feel sorry for the support
technician who has to repeat this message to clients.

Perhaps you should gently suggest to Oracle that they consider using JD
Edwards software for their support application. I'm not a developer, but it
seems to me that when a fix (workorder) is ready for an ESU release, the
status changes and JDE workflow could be initiated, generating emails to all
clients who have registered an interest in that SAR. I'm sure my company
and many others have qualified developers who would be glad to help Oracle
program this functionality.

Andy

Behalf Of Terry DeMoure
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:59 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: E1 8.11 Upgrade to Tools 8.98.2 IE8 introduces the Flashing
Screen

Oracle Support left me a message last night that SAR 8955985 would not be
searchable on My Oracle Support Patches and Updates until the ESU was
completed and released. I am sorry for the misinformation.

I responded that I felt that I being required to login into My Oracle
Support to search every few days to status this fix was unacceptable. If the
search came up empty, I would know the fix was not completed. If the search
brought up an ESU, I would know it was completed. This method of statusing
would not suffice our user community, whom have patiently been waiting for
this problem to be resolved.

The support technician replied that these are the normal procedures for DMC
and all of their clients. The process of releasing an ESU is not an easy one
and is time consuming. I would have to understand that when an ESU is
released, it has several fix or objects within it. Each one has to be tested
and proven to be a successful fix. Then the ESU install has to be tested.
The technician went on to say that we in support have no control of ESUS,
ASUS, SP or TRS, testing or ETAS. I was encouraged to contact our account
manager to engage them in helping us track the SAR until completion.

I did contact our Account Manager this morning and he is now looking into
the matter. I suggest that any of you that have deluged me with emails about
your similar experiences with flashing screens, TR 8.98.2 and newer, and IE8
do the same and have your respective account manager monitor progress on
this SAR 8955985. The Oracle Developers were able to recreate this problem
in the lab and acknowledged their urgent need to resolve the problem. We
just need to continue our pressure for expedient resolution.

Terry H. DeMoure Business Systems Analyst DMC Designed Metal Connections
14800 South Figueroa Street Gardena, CA 90247 Vice President, S.C.U.G.
Southern California RUG - Oracle JDE E1/World

_____

The entire
JDELIST thread is available for viewing.

Looking for a job? Check out the Job
forum

This is the JDELIST EnterpriseOne Mailing List.
JDELIST is not affiliated with JDEdwardsR.

To unsubscribe from this list via email, Click
<mailto: [email protected]?Subject=Unsubscribe&Body=Sirs,

Pl
ease remove this address from the JDELIST EnterpriseOne M

All this is very strange ..

First, you can easily configure your metalink account to send you an e-mail about any change in your case that you have opened and Oracle support is always logging all information regarding you case so most likely you will get e-mailed if there is any update in your case.

Second, instead waiting for official ESU you can submit POC request and Oracle support should provide you with a BUG Fix specific to your system configuration , so you get the fix before ESU release.

It was always like that and if it is not in you case it either because the technicians assigned to your case is a newbie or just lazy … or perhaps you support level is non-standard and is not including this kind of support?

I call dealing with Oracle a ping-pong game – they usually give questions instead of answers but they try hard to leave the ball on your side … so officially it is your fault that you don’t want to provide details so it looks like you abandon your case …. but if you care then finally you get want you want.

PS: I have a case open with Oracle for 8.11 with tools 8.98.2.3 but not for the problem you describe ... and can't say a bad word of cooperation with Oracle support

Yes there are a lot of characteristics about this situation that are disturbing but I am not going to let up until the permanent solution is released.

Your idea about configuring My Oracle Support (fka., Metalink) to notify us when fix is ready was something we considered but we have been having problems getting Configuration Manager installed. We are working with a couple different experts on that problem. And at the time of this writing, a lot of the detective work/self analysis functionality of Configuration Manager is not ready for JDE yet. Apparently JDE was the one software group that got placed at the back of the list at Oracle for fully configuring Configuration Manager. We had a great presentation at our last RUG meeting where one of the Global Support people came in to facilitate a program tour of Configuration Manager. When it is all set up and running completely for JDE customers, it will be awesome.

Oracle Support did offer a temporary POC but they did not have a lot of confidence in it and had not tested it thoroughly to see everything it might touch if installed. Our IS group decided not to take them up on their offer for the temp POC and opted for the permanent solution. This seemed like a good business decision seeing that dozens of companies have contacted me about experiencing similar problems and therefore, the awareness of urgency for the permanent fix is easily evident in numerous JDE related blogs all over the internet.

I really do not have anything bad to say about Oracle Support except one thing. When Oracle Support is working with Oracle Development, neither department of Oracle should be concentrating so hard on getting it out of their queue and into the others. In my opinion, SR’s should be allowed to remain open until the customer’s problem is resolved. All too often do I get surprised when my SR’s get closed as Resolved and I do not know my problem is resolved. What is the hurry? This case is good example. I have no idea when Oracle Development will have this ESU ready but my SR in Oracle Support says Problem Resolved. I am in the IT Help Desk biz too and I never close as ticket as completed until either the problem is resolved or we have agreed on an alternate action and that would be carried over to another ticket.

[ QUOTE ]
All this is very strange ..

First, you can easily configure your metalink account to send you an e-mail about any change in your case that you have opened and Oracle support is always logging all information regarding you case so most likely you will get e-mailed if there is any update in your case.

Second, instead waiting for official ESU you can submit POC request and Oracle support should provide you with a BUG Fix specific to your system configuration , so you get the fix before ESU release.

It was always like that and if it is not in you case it either because the technicians assigned to your case is a newbie or just lazy … or perhaps you support level is non-standard and is not including this kind of support?

I call dealing with Oracle a ping-pong game – they usually give questions instead of answers but they try hard to leave the ball on your side … so officially it is your fault that you don’t want to provide details so it looks like you abandon your case …. but if you care then finally you get want you want.

PS: I have a case open with Oracle for 8.11 with tools 8.98.2.3 but not for the problem you describe ... and can't say a bad word of cooperation with Oracle support

[/ QUOTE ]

They try hard to leave the ball on your side because their customer support reps are measured (negatively) on open cases. They are highly incentivized to make sure that status says "Waiting on Customer Response." I usually bounce it right back to them, even if it means just asking a silly little question that changes the status back to them. A stupid little game to be sure, but I want the problem solved and really could care less about how they measure "success".

A cautionary tale on using metrics for customer support to measure the wrong thing.

Back