Going live on 9.0...

DSauve

DSauve

Legendary Poster
After some delays, we are finally planning on upgrading our Production E1 system from 8.9 to 9.0 the weekend of Feb. 27-28, with a go-live on March 1. We recently dealt with a configuration issue on our http server, in that the threadsperchild parameter was set too low (Windows OAS server). We also just downloaded a fix for ECO processing (R30510) to fix database deadlock issues on the F4102 table.

Enough of my story. Is anyone else out there planning a go-live in the near future, or has anyone just recently upgraded? Any stories you'd like to share?

Hello, We are currently planning a potential upgrade from 8.12 Update 3 to 9.0 Update 1 and are curious how your upgrade went.

We are a global manufacturing co using Fin (GL,AP,AR,FA) SOP, PUR, SFC and Planning modules.

Jerry Keba
W. L. Gore & Associates

Production: E1 8.12, Oracle 11.1.0.7, Optio, TR 8.98.0.3, OAS 10.1.3.1

Hi All,
i'm plannig to upgrade from 8.12 to 9 too (for my customer).

I'm evaluating to run spec merge report, what's your way?

Our upgrade itself is done and we are on day 3 under E1 version 9.0.
We started the upgrade process last Friday evening and had most of the actual upgrade tasks completed by Saturday evening. Sunday was spent on housekeeping-type activities, and Mon-Wed has been taken up with user support and a few program fixes.

Since we moved from all fat clients to web only, we've had a lot of calls related to that the past few days (grid formats, where row/form exits went, how to run a UBE), plus several database-related issues came up. Probably the most bothersome database issue is performance problems with F3002-related batch jobs (leadtime rollup, MRP, BOM Print reports). We're still working on that one.

FYI, we're running Financials, Manufacturing and Distribution functionality.

We ran spec merge for all of our totally custom objects (system code 55 - 59). We did not run spec merge on any modified JDE objects. Rather, we evaluated our custom mods to JDE objects to see if they were still needed, and if so, then we manually re-applied them to the 9.0 code.

Thanks for your replay, this is the right way.

Realy i upgrade for 8.12 and i think there is not so much difference with 9.00 release so i'm evaluating to copy the central object and upgrade the release level in OL. Any experince on this?

Just point the gun at your head and pull the trigger if you're serious about that approach.

If you're going to just copy your 8.12 objects . . . why upgrade?

EnterpriseOne 8.12 "is the new Xe" aka B733.3

EnterpriseOne 9.00 "is the new ERP 8.0 " aka B733.4

If you're looking for references on 9.00 you should also be considering any 8.12 project since the 2 releases are so similar.

I have a few clients live on 9.0 and 4 upgrades to 9.00 in progress.

The biggest change overall is Web - it was knew and although not complex not many people had skills and expertise in it and there wasn't the fully fledged eco-system that we now see today to support it.

Colin

Because the holding (running on E900) say that all other company need to run on E900. One of this compony is on E812 and don't want to spend more money for upgrade so need a fast solution.

You tinhk that this can't work?

Go ahead, try it . . . what have you go to lose?

Seriously though, you really want to lie to your company owners about this?

[ QUOTE ]
Because the holding (running on E900) say that all other company need to run on E900. One of this compony is on E812 and don't want to spend more money for upgrade so need a fast solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

As Colin pointed out, there isn't a heck of a lot of difference between 8.12 and 9.0, so the conversion should be pretty straight forward and painless.

That being said, the disconcerting portion of your post is "One of this compony is on E812 and don't want to spend more money for upgrade so need a fast solution."

Not spending time and money on an upgrade is a BAD, BAD idea. Upgrades should be well funded, well thought out, and rehersed. They should not be slammed in. They should not be something that requires immediate responses from this forum during mid conversion. That is a recepie for disaster.

- Gregg

Well said Gregg.

Steve Catalano
Information Systems Manager
Arlon Electronic Materials Group
1100 Governor Lea Road
Bear, De 19701

(P) 1-800-635-9333 Ext 233
(F) 1-302-834-4021
(C) 1-407-221-0288

This e-mail is confidential, is intended only for the named recipient(s)
and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure
under applicable law. If you have received this message in error, please
immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message.

On Behalf Of gregglarkin
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2010 1:55 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Going live on 9.0...

Quote:

gregglarkin I understand your opinion and i'm according to you but this is not my money and not your money. So the question (my question) is: what's the fast way to upgrade from 8.12 to 900

We went live on JDE 9.0 in Sept 2009. We faced similar performance issues problems with one file too. Turns out we had forgotten about the custom indices on that one file. We moved from E8.10 to 9.0

Bruno,

sorry if I misunderstood you.

you said
"Realy i upgrade for 8.12 and i think there is not so much difference with 9.00 release so i'm evaluating to copy the central object and upgrade the release level in OL."

which I interpreted to mean:
1. application code and data will stay at 8.12 level
2. Put a label on top of the OL (change the version field in F9861) to "say" the release is at 9.0 (but it really isn't).

From spec merge point of view I agree with Don approch. Custom objects (system code 55-59) always merged and customized standard object evaluate if reapply customization or going with standard processes.

Bruno don't forget all the tasks included in an upgrade process from an older release to newer. I report here a lists of main activity during a release upgrade:

1) Install new JDE software on deployment (Release 9.0). For example this installation process update windows registry or folder (differently by E8.12) and install planner db (MSDE/SQLExpress or Oracle Express) different from E8.12 (supported only MSDE/SQLExpress)
2) Install new JDE enterprise server (Release 9.0). And configuring your EO 9.0 database
3) Define an installation planner and submit Installation Workbench. This steps include the following
3.a Initial Tasks (copy Media Objects, copy system table....)
3.b Location Workbench
3.c Datasource Workbench (define new datasource, f.e. Central
Objects - DV900....)
3.d Environment Workbench (define new EO 9.0 environment)
3.e Machine Workbench
3.f Control Table workbench. Merge UDC, Tasks, datadictionary
from older release and new control table
3.g Table Conversion Workbench. Convert Business Data tables
format from older format to the new
3.h Specification merge. Merge programs
3.i Package definition

In my opinion these are the main tasks, so Bruno you understand that if you try to migrate tour EO 8.12 to EO 9.00 simply merging your program you must to execute manually a lot of activity (update tables with new version, modify jde.ini, jdbj.ini, jas.ini, copy UDC from old to new release ...).

If you want to try, my suggest is try with an incremental approach:

1- First of all install standard E9.00 software on a new hardware
2- Merge your data dictionary and program in the new release (custom object merged and customized standard object evaluate what reapply and what not)
3- In a second moment you can analyze different on database for business data tables beetween E8.12 and E9.00. JDE supply a list of different tables and corrisponding table conversion to convert data.
4- Analyze differences for control table (tasks, UDC...) in terms of new table and in terms of values (for example custom UDC create in the old release)
5- I suppose you're customer doesn't want to reinsert on the new release all system tables (users, users password, roles, printers, printer-users associations, job queues...), for these, check if you are able to reuse point 3.a

After a lot of (a lot lot!!!) tests MAYBE you are ready to go live. I say MAYBE because in this post, after 10 year of upgrade, I reported main complication about upgrade, but surely I forget something.
However Bruno ... good Luck
gg

Back