How to get collated copies using immediate printing in Xe

antoine_mpo

Reputable Poster
Hi list,
We have an ube that need to be immediately printed when finished, in several copies, but collated. And it has to be printed on a postscript printer (because we use barcodes and specific fonts in the ube)
When you submit the job, and in printer selection screen, you select the Postscript printer, check "print immediate", and set "number of copies" to the number you need, the result is that you get the number of copies, but not collated :
You get x times the first page, x times the second, etc ...

We cannot afford that, because it would take too much time for end users to put back all the pages, and would lead to document mixes and issues with our customers.

I also tried to change postscript driver parameters of the printer, on the print server (windows), but can't get what i want. (the number of copies set by default in the driver is ignored when printing the jde document).

I open a SR on Oracle support. Their answer is that is not a jde issue, and that it's the device/driver issue, and that i should contact the printer manufacturer.

But looking at what files are received by the printer, it seems to be raw type document (raw postscript ?). And the file has the same size whatever number of copies i requested from jde. So i guess the raw file contains the number of copies in the description.

Does anyone ever had that need and how did you solve the issue ? Any workaround ? Some code to change in jde ?

Thanks for you help.

Antoine,

not much help to you - we had the same need and used our 3rd party forms s/w (Optio in our case) to do what we needed. I don't know how you could do it within the generic toolset.

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your answer ... Even if it's pretty bad news ! :)

Actually, we do have an output management tool (from symtrax), and we're gonna use it to email the pdf file generated by the ube i was talking about.
But the thing is that i cannot use this tool to print this particular document, because it wouldn't be real time printing. Indeed, in our process, we have a script copying pdf files from the jde printqueue directory of the ube server to our output management server, and our tools is based on windows directory scanning.
So, between the submit of the ube, and the document coming out of the printer, it would take several minutes. It's too slow for this department (shipping).

Is that true that immediate printing through JDE doesn't use the windows driver settings ?

Regards,

Hi,

Yes, JDE will ignore printer driver settings when printing. It sends raw data to the printer. Does your printer have collated checked under printer properties ? How does it print when you have multiple pages to print from word or excel.

Hi Joel,

I did some tests and noticed that when i was printing a pdf file from my server, from acrobat reader, i had the same result of not collated copies. I checked with my PC, and from there, if i requested multiple collated copies it worked.
The version of my the Poscript driver on my server was a more recent version than the one on my computer. So i installed the older driver on my server. Then, printing multiple collated copies was working when printing from acrobat reader. But it's still not working if i ask multiple copies from OneWorld. And if i try to set multiple copies (collated or not) by default on the driver, it's ignored.

Regards,

Hi,

It's an HP printer, model LaserJet 4200Ln.

And i did another test :
Change the number of copy directly in the printer setup. I put 2 copies (there's no option to select collated or not).
If i print a pdf, from acrobat, i get 2 copies (but not collated though). But if i print from JDE, i only get 1 copy. So even printer settings seems to be ignored.

Rgds,

I am running a fat client on Windows 7 Professional, with Xe sp23_w1. Had some issues, but copied the JDE* files from my XP install and it works fine now - but this is only day 3.

Back