Microsoft SQL Upgrade from 2000 to 2005

erpfun

I'm gathering information on the process to upgrade our JDE SQL from 2000 to 2005. I know I can put the CD in and run the upgrade wizard, but I cannot find any documentation specifically for JDE. I'm thinking about the databases on the deployment server, enterprise server, and the clients and what order to go in. I know I want to do our development environment first that shares the same deployment server with production. When that goes well, I'll pick a weekend and do the production enterprise server. Does anyone have any advice for me? Are there any white papers out there for me? Issues I could run into? Is there more to it then running the upgrade wizard?
confused.gif

Thanks,
Amy

Hi,

There's a bit more, but it's not terribly difficult :

1. Upgrade JDBC drivers (and their JDBJ.INI entries)
to SQL2005
2. Upgrade SQL Client on FATs, Deployment and Enterprise
Servers to SQL 2005 Native Client
3. Regenerate indexes and statistics on your SQL 2005
databases right after the upgrade.
4. Pray

Sebastian

2a) After installing the SQL Native Client, change all the ODBC entries to use the new SQL Native Client driver instead of the plain old SQL Server driver.

Thanks Sebastian. I think I need to repeat step 4 before step 1 as well.

Step 1 is what I thought I was missing. Thanks!

So you recommend that I upgrade all the clients, then do the databases as the next step?

Amy

A bit more to add to your plan

1) are you using any third party tools live vertex? that needs to be upgraded and tested

2) Do you use a reporting like Cognos and have replication set up?

3) Do you replicate tables to any other applications or JDE instances?

4) Do you have any feeds of data from external databases?

5) Have you tried to test the upgrade to guestimate the amount of downtime and to get some practice?

We did the upgrade here a few months back, it was an extensive project with testing by developers, dbas, app leads and CNCs. During the actual conversion weekend, we had top-end Microsoft premier support on standby to assist in the event of a conversion script failure.

- Gregg

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gathering information on the process to upgrade our JDE SQL from 2000 to 2005. I know I can put the CD in and run the upgrade wizard, but I cannot find any documentation specifically for JDE. I'm thinking about the databases on the deployment server, enterprise server, and the clients and what order to go in. I know I want to do our development environment first that shares the same deployment server with production. When that goes well, I'll pick a weekend and do the production enterprise server. Does anyone have any advice for me? Are there any white papers out there for me? Issues I could run into? Is there more to it then running the upgrade wizard?
confused.gif

Thanks,
Amy

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a lot...a lot of things to do to properly upgrade from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005. To quote others on this board - "best to contract with someone who has experience in this area"

Here are my answers to your questions...

1) are you using any third party tools live vertex? that needs to be upgraded and tested No

2) Do you use a reporting like Cognos and have replication set up? Crystal Reports, but I should be able to convert them to the SQL Native client okay.

3) Do you replicate tables to any other applications or JDE instances? No

4) Do you have any feeds of data from external databases? Yes - Thanks for making me think about this one - those will have to be tested as well, but I can fix them or change their ODBC's okay.

5) Have you tried to test the upgrade to guestimate the amount of downtime and to get some practice? No, not yet

We did the upgrade here a few months back, it was an extensive project with testing by developers, dbas, app leads and CNCs. During the actual conversion weekend, we had top-end Microsoft premier support on standby to assist in the event of a conversion script failure. (good idea)
Amy

Not sure why it hasn't been brought up, but what JDE service pack/tools release are you on? You will need to be on a service pack that works with SQL 2005 which may require, depending on other decisions, the need for multifoundation on the deployment server.

Jer

Hi Jer,

That's true, you need to be on a SP level that
supports SQL2005. Thanks for the remark.

Hi,

By the way, given that you're on the mood to upgrade your
db... why not go to SQL 2008?
If my memory is not failing, latest Xe Service Packs
supports SQL 2008.

Minimum Tools Release is 8.96_F1, so any current Tools Release that you get these days would support it. For SQL 2008, you must go up to at least 8.98.1.

Just want to say thank you for all your help. We were able to successfully upgrade our development environment to SQL 2005.

erpfun

Back