CheckDefense issue

klwong

Legendary Poster
I have inherited a configuration where the client uses Create!Form and CheckDefense to send a file to the bank every night. The process has been working fine for almost 4 years, and suddenly stopped functioning at the beginning of this week.

I had to figure out what was going on at first, how the whole process works, but I think I've got it narrowed down to CheckDefense not converting the Create!Form output text file into the bank-approved fixed length ASCII file.

I logged into CheckDefense, but noticed that some menus were missing that are mentioned in the user's manual. I looked at the Help-About menu item, and saw that the user, company, and serial number information were blank.

Now I'm wondering if something happened to this server that would cause the information to go missing, and if maybe that is the cause of CheckDefense not converting the files any more.

Any thoughts?

Hi KL Wong,

Here's the whole config:

The data file coming in can be ASCII text or JDE E1 PDF files or even CSV or XML files.

Create!stream Server 3.0 uses a stream script to extract data items and output a CSV file type into a directory.

Create!form Director 6.4 (newer version) uses a director project to do the same thing.

Check!defense then monitors that directory to pick up the file & transform it (using a bank profile) into the needed format for the bank (including a header or trailer record if needed, etc.)

The stream script or the Director project should tell you what directory the file is going to.
- Make sure this piece is working

Check!defense has its own config to monitor this directory, use the bank profile, assign the correct acct no., etc
- Too much to list for this forum

Check!defense can be setup to allow certain menus to appear for certain users.
- Different log-ins allow different menus, options, etc.

But I do think you're on the right track
- The data file from stream or Director is probably going to the right directory
- Check!defense may even be picking it up.
- Check!defense will output the final file to a different directory for the bank to pick up.

If its not doing any of this, then Check!defense may be suspect.

If you normally see all the menus, all the options and now you don't, then yes Check!defense needs to be inspected.

Let me know if I can help more.

Mark

From what I have observed, the CSV file is being created by Create!stream. There is a Scheduled Task that kicks off CheckDefense to convert the CSV file into a fixed-length ASCII for transmission to the bank.

The task runs, and even says it is successful, but the output is not created. When I try to do the task manually, the same thing happens. So I would say that something has happened with CheckDefense.

By the way, I forgot to add that this is on Windows 2003, and CheckDefense is version 2.71. Let me know if there is other information I should provide.

Thanks in advance.

Are you able to log on as Supervisor?

Since your able to run the task manually I assume you can see the Open, Process, and Transmit buttons (icons).

Can you run the sample data file provided by Check!defense?
- Should be located in c:\program files\Create!form\Check!defense\Extracted files
- File is called sample data file.txt

When running this file (or any basic text csv type input file) is the output file directory local or to a server?

Can you run this basic function & output it locally?
- Does it then create the output file?

If you are able to see the basic icons such as Open, Process and Transmit, what drop down menus are missing?

The drop down menus you should see are:
File, Run, Report, Banks, Maintenance, Transmission and Help.

If you have the Report drop down menu, are you able to view the Summary or Full report?

The only log available is the Transmission log
- but if the file is not getting created, it may not show anything.

If basic functionality of Check!defense is not working, it needs to be reinstalled and reconfigured.
- Not an overwhelming task if your familiar with the setup, but it can be a pain if your not.

Let me know whats missing & we'll go from there.

Mark

A similar thing happened with my configuration recently. Has the password to the bank changed?

Karen.

The bank password has not changed, but the last time the bank changed something, the output file was generated; it just couldn't transmit. This time, the file isn't being created.

> Can you run the sample data file provided by Check!defense?
A) No, the sample data file is no longer there.

> If you are able to see the basic icons such as Open, Process and Transmit, what
> drop down menus are missing?
A) I can see the Open, Process, Add, and Delete icons, plus a drop down list for Target Bank. The only menus visible are File, Run, Maintenance, and Help. And the icon bar also has the flag saying "Supervisor Mode."

I can't see the Report menu, so the next question is moot.

I have seen this before.

The functionality of Check!defense has definitely been compromised.

I have a registry key, when added, will restore all needed menus & options but I cannot list it here as it is only for authorized users.

Send me an email & I'll forward it to you.

The only other option is to uninstall, reinstall and reconfigure.

Mark

After looking through backups to see if something was missing, we saw that a file containing the bank profile was missing. After restoring it, the file conversion was able to run, and the transmission was sent to the bank.

Oddly, the menus mentioned previously are still missing, and there is still no user/company/license information in the Help-About screen.

But it's working, so the client will leave it at that for now, though they're looking through their records for the license info. They also have a call in to Bottomline to see if they have it recorded somewhere.

Thanks for your help Mark and Karen.

Back