Deployment Server Migration Questions

cncjunior1

Reputable Poster
We are going to be moving our Deployement server to a new server in the near future. I just have a couple questions.

1. Where is the Change Assistant information stored? I know I have to reinstall it on the new hardware but I would like to keep all the data of what we have downloaded for ESUs within it and also all the records of everything that was deployed from within Change Assistant.

2. This question I probably already know the answer to but I'll ask it anyway. Our network/server admin wants to give the new server a different name temporarily until it's done being built. So basically he was wondering if we gave it a new name, then reinstalled the deployment server software on it, copied the Deployment server install directory from the original server to the new one and then renamed the new server back to the original name and shut down the old one. I don't think this would be a real problem since all the data from the original server is being copied back in but I think the real issue would be the local MSDE engine that would have to be reconfired within the registry and any other encripted files. I don't see a real advantage to doing it this way really but thought I would ask.

Thanks.

1) Sorry, can't help with that. As odd as it may sound, I have never used Change Assistant unless the client already had it installed.

2) This I can help with ... It shouldn't be a big deal to change the deployment server name after the fact. The white paper that covers the subject of changing out the deployment server even has steps on where to change things if you do happen to update the deployment server to something with a different server name. All those steps talk about modifying INF files, and tables within the JDE database, but nothing about changing MSDE itself, or any registry entries on the deployment server.

Look for Oracle Doc ID 659735.1 if you want to read through it yourself. I would link to it, but the site seems to have prematurely gone down ahead of tonight's scheduled maintenance.
mad.gif

--00163646b96864547c047e522b56
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-2
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hello,
The CA would is installed by DEFAULT at the following location in case you
used JDE user to install it.

C:\Documents and Settings\JDE\Application
Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javaws\http\Djde.oracle.com
\P80\DMdeploy\DMChangeAssistant\

Take the following folder to the new machine
C:\Documents and Settings\JDE\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\
Also, you should take the download and log directories from OLD machine.

Regards,

Bassel Magdy, Sr. Tech. Consultant
ORACLE Partner , B73.3.1 through E900 DB2, Oracle, MS SQL , AS/400, Windows ,
OAS, WebSphere.

Back