Create!form Designer or Director

Lynnol

Hi All,

It's been a while since I last worked with Create!form products. Few years back I was using Create!form Designer to design the output of forms then using Create!Stream to split and determine how the documents are distributed.

I did some research and understand that Create!form Director has replaced Create!Stream. Director provides similar features of Create!Stream but also features from Create!Form (i.e. forms design).

I have already developed forms using Designer. Do I still need to use Director and carry out the "form design" in Director for it to be used?

If development is still required in Director to automate document distribution, is there any way that I can re-use what I have already developed using Designer?

Since Director contain features of the Designer, under what circumstances is it best suited to use Designer, Director, or both?

What version of CformDesigner and CformDirector are you working with? Are you JDE World spool files or JDE E1 PDF's?

You are correct CformDirector projects replace Cstream scripts. On the server side, CformServer6 replaces CstreamServer3. CformServer2 is what processes your JDE output with the CformDirector projects.

There are actually three different development apps, CformDesigner, CformDirector and CformTransform. On the server, there is one server app, CformServer6. However if your output is JDE E1 PDF's and you're already running CformServer 3.2 then CformServer6 only replaces the Cstream functionality.

You will need to create projects in CformDirector if you need to configure additional output functionality (email, split and distribute, sort, etc.). "Forms design" is not done in CformDirector. It shares a couple things with CformDesigner the main one being the input file data mapping/definition.

Thanks, KSwaeby.

I am working with JDE E1 PDF's and using Designer 3.2 and Director 6.4.

The data mapping in Director led me thinking that it's related with forms disign. Thanks for the explanation. It's making more sense that now!

Lynnol,

You are correct Create!form Director offers 'features' from the design tool but you cannot actually do any forms design in Director projects to populate Form Projects.

Here's a high level overview:
Form projects are done in Create!form designer 2.7 or 6.4 (ASCII Text) or 3.2 (JDE E1 PDF files)

Director Projects (similar to stream scripts) are document distribution scripts to split sets, conditionally print, email, fax, archive, publish, transform, etc., etc.)

Director Projects 'call' the form projects.
There is no design done in Director to populate form projects.

Any Form Projects you've done can definitely be used in a Director Project.

But functionality you've implemented in your Form Projects cannot be copied into a Director Project.
They are completely separate resources.

Designer projects and Director projects are almost always used together.

Mark

Back