Xe to 9.0 Deployment Server Swap Issue

cscholze

I am preparing a plan to start an upgrade to 9.0 from Xe and my understanding is I require a different deployment server. Unfortunately, in the last 6 months we upgraded the hardware for our current deployment server to a high end server that I don't want to lose or waste sitting around waiting for the project to complete. My question is has anyone seen the process of moving the Xe deployment server to a VM server using the P2V tool, have it run its life out there, and meanwhile rebuilt the physical server for 9.0? Am I missing something that may come back on me with this configuration? Any other ideas that I am missing that could be considered? I do not have media objects on the server.

Thank You in advance for any help with this problem.

Craig Scholze
Rite Hite Corporation
Xe Update7 SP 24.0.0.3 AS400/DB2 V6R1

[ QUOTE ]
My question is has anyone seen the process of moving the Xe deployment server to a VM server using the P2V tool, have it run its life out there, and meanwhile rebuilt the physical server for 9.0?

[/ QUOTE ]

Craig,

Other than the fact that your XE package builds will be a lot slower running from VM, your plan is sound. That's a good use of your hardware.

- Gregg

Thats a good plan. I don't see any drawback except for slower Xe package builds (which would likely still be faster that before you purchased the new deployment server !)

Hi.

You can also use snapshot on the Deployment server, there is a white paper in the oracle site regarding this.

we used this to setup our XE + 8.12 Deployment server and worked like a charm (only a small problem with an ocx registration that is fixed with a little .bat, also documented in the Oracle site)

Sorry to come back to this old post.

I am planning an update to 9.0 myself and I cannot find any reference as to the need of having to install 9.0 on a DIFFERENT deployment server.
Actually it has always been my understanding that the upgrade plan looks for the "old stuff" (previous release I am upgrading from) on the SAME old deployment server under the informed path, like \\MyDeploy\B7334 .

I did perform an ungrade many years ago with a from_relase_deployment_server/to_relase_deployment_server scenario. I remember that that was really tricky and I would rather not do it again.

Am I missing something?

Thanks, Gerd

I have done upgrades both ways. Just lately, I've mostly been doing upgrades to a second, newer Deployment Server, mostly because the old Deployment Server was really old.

It's not that tricky, as long as you make sure you can see the share on the older Deployment Server, and that when you define your Installation Plan, the right release is pointed to the right server.

I do all of my upgrades by installing the new deployment, enterprise, and database from scratch and copying up the previous release directories and databases. I then manually create datasources and run some custom scripts to modify references to the old servers. Doing it that way, I don't ever have a connection to the old system and there's no way to screw things up over there.

It has a significant trickiness factor, but it works pretty well. Another reason I do this is because all of my recent clients are upgrading to 9.0 on new equipment from ancient hardware running Xe or some such thing.

I've also done deployment server hardware-only upgrades by putting the new deployment server in a "sandbox" network (or completely offline) and giving it the same name as the old server. I then reinstall the base software (system only) on the new machine and restore a copy of the old server's E1 directories over top of the new machine. I also copy over the ODBC registry info, or just create it manually.

I'm sure I missed some details in there, but that's it in a nutshell.

When I did that upgrade I am referring to I had a new Deployment Server with a different name. During the object merge it looked for the old DS´s name in the respective column of F9861. I had to do update this table via SQL command.

Anyway, As long as you keep the old DS name all you really have to do is copy some stuff from the old server over to the new one.

My actual question was different though: from what I understand from the original posting here is that "I would always need o new DS server for the E9 upgrade". From what I understand here this is NOT the case.

Thanks, Gerd

Back