Using E1 within OPS versus Standard HTML JAS Web User Interface

tiradoj

tiradoj

Well Known Member
Hello JDE Colleagues

I was wondering if anyone has put together a short summary business case one page sheet on when it makes sense to use JDE E1 applications from WITHIN Oracle Portal Server versus the standard HTML user interface?

Since with the E1Menu portlet that is pre-delivered with JDE E1 in WebClient_Oracle_Portal.war file , as a system admin I can access all applications from within E1 menu in OPS the same way I can in the JAS standard interface.

Has anyone exhaustively tested which applications are not available in E1 from within OPS versus the HTML (JAS) web server because I don't see what is different?

I have yet to see any SIMPLE and CLEAR explanation of the benefits of using OPS at all when you can set up JDE E1 in an https scenario to get additional security setup here and configured within a DMZ if one wanted to make accessible to Internet users or customers - suppliers of JDEdwards?

Unless they have a JDE user account they cannot sign in to JDE so (playing devil's advocate) what is the value of accessing E1 from within OPS?

Why all the extra setup if you DON'T have a need to create third party portlets?

Of course this is only the technical setup. From a legal standpoint, what is the licensing policy regarding E1 customers and how is the licensing handled for users coming in from the OPS side (not as HTML JAS web server) or for that matter, applicants for the eRecruit self service applications?

I am just asking for what other people have done in PRODUCTION environment and any ego-inflated-related and inflammatory comments will be disregarded immediately. :)

Constructive input please.

Thanks in advance.

Joe Tirado
Senior CNC Consultant

Hey Joe,

You haven't seen that business case because it does not exist. The only time that I've seen a client use OPS it was a nightmare. The adoption of OPS was entirely user driven because the user community didn't want to have to learn how to use a menu.

Oracle has a spec sheet on licensing somewhere buried on OPN. It lists out licensing for all the self service modules-RSS, ESS etc....

I wish you the best of luck.

All the Best,

Mark

Hello Mark

:) thanks for your reply. I guess it speaks for itself that 51 people have viewed my post and you were first to reply.

I heard only two customers have put eRecruit into PROD with another holding off until some concerns about the JDEANON user setup and possible security holes still exist.

I have the E1 menu working within OPS fine, I just don't understand how or why it would be used. Also, it seems I have full access to all apps even though I just generated select apps in WebClient_Oracle_Portal.

In any case, thank you.

Regards,
Joe Tirado
Senior CNC Consultant

the E1 Menu is the app.

Since you generated it, then you can access all the e1 apps through it.

Generating an app as a portal app allows it to be placed into Oracle Portal as a portlet.

Hi Joe Tirado,

Could u please send me the documentation of this.

We are alsoing to access E1 withing Oracle Portal, but could not succeded.

Please help us

Regards,

Prashant

Back