E1 not sending output to CreateForm

Its not on sale

Reputable Poster
This could be a simple issue but I am not having any luck. I have defined the printer correctly in the E1 (8.12) as per the instructions from CreateFrom, my printers are defined in the createform server but when I click on Print button on Work submitted job in E1 after selecting CF printer, nothing goes to Createform. CF Server never receives any thing. I have unix printing enabled in CF, printers are shared and accessable by other apps,Everyone has authority on the printers, I can send document to those printers from my computer but nothing goes from the E1 server.

E1 is running on unix. I am not sure if I need to do something on the Unix side or need to load any software from createform in E1. I have asked CF support and they have told me nothing needs to be loaded on E1 side.

I am running CF 3.2 and I have server 6 and server 3 running in Createform. 6 for director and 3 for printer jobs.

Heres the entire setup:
1) Add the printer in JDE using *JDE PDF as the conversion program and -s POSTSCRIPT_PRINTER as the parameter string.
- When using PRINT from WSJ, you should see a job get to the Unix Print queue (or pass through it).

2) On the Unix Server, you'll obviously need a remote print queue which uses the IP address of the Win server and the share name of the Win printer.
- You should see a job pass through this print queue on Unix when printing from JDE.

3) On Win Server, you'll need TCP/IP Print Server service added and running
- Added from Add/Remove Programs > Add Remove Win Components > Other Network File & Print Services > Print Services for Unix
- You may need to restart the Win server after adding this service.

4) Windows printer must be shared (sounds like you have this)

Pause the Win printer and then print the job from JDE (so you can see if the job gets there).

You should see activity of the job pass through the Unix print queue, then to the Win printer.
- Get Unix to Win printer connectivity working before anything else (Try printing a simple UNIX job from the Queue).
- JDE & Create!form functionality will then fall into place.
- Not sure what you mean by having Unix Printing enabled in Create!form as there is no such setting.
- Also, there is no Cform component to install on Unix for E1 (which is good).

Once you get the initial connectivity from the Unix print queue to the Win print queue working, the rest is easy.

Hope this helps, let me know if I can add details on any part of this.

You'll need to do something in UNIX, what exactly I'm not sure. I'm working on a E1 system that just migrated their E1 system to Linux E1 servers. In order to get printing working all the E1/Cform printers had to be defined/created in UNIX. Getting printers to work was not my direct responsibility so I'm not sure exactly what was done.

Try defining a printer on UNIX so that you can print from UNIX to the Windows CformServer printer queue. Use the same name as your E1 printer and that should automajically get things working for you.

Hope this helps -

Karen.

Karen,

Thanks for quick reply but I think that is not the case because in printer defination in E1 we are outputting the data directly to the printer on the CF server its defined like \\servername\printer_name. I have also worked with the CF support staff and they do not know of any such thing like defining the printer in UNIX. I have asked three different persons and they all say the same. They asked me to make sure that the printer is defined correctly. I check the printer four five times with somebody else watching and confirming it.

We moved from E1 with Windows host servers to Linux host servers and the only way to get printing working was to define the printer in Linux (UNIX). Our printers in E1 were defined just like you described - \\servername\printer_name. They worked fine when the E1 host platform was Windows but not when the system was switched over to Linux.

Another way to think about it is if your host was AS/400 you'd have to have an OUTQ defined right? Same type of thing is going on with UNIX. Define a UNIX printer (same name as the E1 printer) and see if you can print from UNIX to the CformServer printer queue. Once you can do that I think printing form E1 should start working for you.

Karen.

One more thing...

A "trick" I use is to pause the printer queue on the Windows CformServer. When you try to print (either from E1 or from UNIX) a print job should show up on the printer queue. If not, then you know something is still not working. That eliminates the need to get a user to go check the printer for output.

You'll also need connectivity from the Windows CformServer printer queue to the destination printer. To test that you can simply print a Windows printer test page. Have you established that you can print from the CformServer to the physical printer?

Karen.

Hi,

Have tried looking on the submitted job log...?
On "view job status" app select submitted job, click on row "view logs". This might provide you some hint on whats the problem...

Hope it helps.

My printer is contantly paused on Createform just for the same reason.

I am able to create that printer in my computer and send output proving the network connectivity and ability to print outputs.

I have checked the logs million times. I debugged the print program , they use a command called prtPDF_SendPrintRequestEx to send the output out. I am not sure if that has issues or what,.

Can you define a printer on the UNIX box and send something from UNIX to the CformServer? That would prove connectivity between UNIX and the Windows CformServer.

JDE E1 is laying on top of the UNIX operating system so with your printer only defined in JDE (and not in UNIX) the system doesn't know how to get the output from point A (EnterpriseOne) to point B (the CformServer).

Back