How does JDE interface with windows print queues

Joel

Well Known Member
Hello,

We have a line printer with two paper feeds. The JDE printer application does not allow us to set the default paper source for line printers as it does for PCL. To get around this problem we created two logical printer names on our Windows print servers and mapped them to their respective output trays. For example \\Printserver\Printer1 -> Tray 1 and \Printserver\Printer2 -> Tray 2.

When I print from any external application like notepad or word, the print comes out of the desired tray. However when I print from JDE, it uses the currently active tray on the printer even though we see that the print is going to the correct windows print queue. Does anyone have any idea how JDE interfaces with print queues.. is there any workaround like a BSFN that can be used in the UBE to achieve this. Our enterprise servers are windows based.

Thanks,
Joel

--0016e6d77df5a3ca0f047d4fd34e
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

You should be able to configure each tray asits own LPR printer, though?

(db) Daniel Bohner

Hello,

We have a line printer with two paper feeds. The JDE printer application
does not allow us to set the default paper source for line printers as it
does for PCL. To get around this problem we created two logical printer
names on our Windows print servers and mapped them to their respective
output trays. For example \\Printserver\Printer1 -> Tray 1 and
\Printserver\Printer2 -> Tray 2.

When I print from any external application like notepad or word, the print
comes out of the desired tray. However when I print from JDE, it uses the
currently active tray on the printer even though we see that the print is
going to the correct windows print queue. Does anyone have any idea how JDE
interfaces with print queues.. is there any workaround like a BSFN that can
be used in the UBE to achieve this. Our enterprise servers are windows
based.

Thanks,
Joel

Yes, Thats what we have done. Each tray is configured to a logical printer name. It works as desired when printing from external applications like work but not while printing from JDE

--0016e649c9e86aed90047d627a61
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

USING LPR you can define each tray as a different printer- by giving each
tray its own port number.

(db) Daniel Bohner

Yes, Thats what we have done. Each tray is configured to a logical printer
name. It works as desired when printing from external applications like wor k
but not while printing from JDE

Hi,

Could you provide more details on how to map a LPR printer to a specific "tray" ? Current printers use different drivers for tray assignment which works fine for external applications but not JDE.

Out of curiosity, what make/model of printer is this? I've never heard of a line printer with multiple paper sources, I've only seen and used continues feed line printers. I'd love to know more.

Looking in the programmer's manual for Printek 4300/4500/4503, I see the following on page 1.3:

"Escape sequences for loading forms are only available in the Epson and Printek emulations. In either chapter refer to the "Load Form" escape sequence in the "Forms and Tractors" section."

Since JDE sends raw text files (rather than 'printtek language' or 'epson esc/p') to lineprinters, with no escape codes, and doesn't use Windows drivers to generate output (as they don't exist on iSeries and Unix platforms), I suspect that is your problem.

Hi Seg,

Thanks for the reply. It makes scense, since JDE is not passing the escape code, the form details are not being passed.

Just wanted to confirm, you mean JDE ignores windows drivers while printing ? , I wouldnt agree with that. Ours is a windows enterprise server and print server. The tray assignment is controlled by two drivers. I thought once a JDE print job hit a windows print queue its handled by windows.

We are exploring the system function Initialize Logical Printer Name to see if used in a UBE it makes any difference. Have not had any luck with it yet.

Regards,
Joel

We ran into this for both tray management and options like duplex.
We found a simple solution as JDE is sending simple PS streams that do ignore the default settings in the driver.

We found a cheap virtual printer driver called print distributor that you can set events to occur once it receives the stream. When it distributes the job to a printer, it fully uses the driver settings. It is also handy as if you are printing to things like Zebra label printers that require a ZPL stream, you can simply send it to the printer using the native driver. We also sometimes use the Acroread32.exe /t command line when we want to ensure the print is completely WYSIWYG to the viewable PDF.

Hi Tony,
Thanks for your inputs. I downloaded the trail version of print distributor and installed it on a fat client. Created two virtual printers and assigned them drivers same as the actual printer. Finally created an event to reprint to the actual printer. Thus to summerise below

JDE -> Virtual Printer1 (using Printek F9 driver) -> Actual Printer(using F9 driver)

JDE -> Virtual Printer2 (using Printek F8 driver) -> Actual Printer(using F8 driver)

The solution is not working with the same outcome as before. When I print from JDE locally and on the server, the job is routed to the virtual printer -> actual printer. The print still comes out from the currently active tray. When I create an event to write the print job to a local folder it creates a .PRN file. I can open the .PRN file in wordpad and print it to the same virtual printer, the print comes out of the desired tray.
I checked on the print distributor forum and someone suggested that this is indeed how print distributor would work in this scenerio.

Can you give me more details on using the Acroread /t command. I did a search but could not find one with an example.

Re: Solution

Just to update the post, we managed to find a solution to this issue. Firstly we tried a lot of different approaches like using several form change commands in the printer property, configuring commands in logical ports, using virtual printers. Oracle support also acknowledged that there is a limitation with line printers with multiple trays when printing from JDE and gave us a detailed explanation on why it does not work. They mentioned the only workaround was to use third party softwares like Optio and formscape.

The solution we used is creating two hex script files with print change commands and used a standard JDE business function that uses windows commands to send that file to the printer. Thus before the actual print we send this file to the printer and make our desired tray active. It may not be possible to write all details in this post but if anyone encounters a similar issue let me know and I'll be glad to provide some detailed instructions.

Back