Version Not Installed On Client

KKJ70

Well Known Member
At one time, I was able to promote, define, build, submit, deploy packages and add to menus. Now, it appears everything works okay UNTIL putting it (report templates) into the menu. At that time, I get the "Version not installed on client" error.

I have scoured the postings and found others getting this error, but different scenarios than mine. My role is sysadmin, should have access to do everything. I have checked this and didn't find anything unusual.

Help
confused.gif
.. needing this to get things ready for physical inventory next week.

This error usually means that you don't have the specs for the UBE and/or version on the client PC. Did you deploy the update package with the objects to this client?

[ QUOTE ]
At one time, I was able to promote, define, build, submit, deploy packages and add to menus. Now, it appears everything works okay UNTIL putting it (report templates) into the menu. At that time, I get the "Version not installed on client" error.

I have scoured the postings and found others getting this error, but different scenarios than mine. My role is sysadmin, should have access to do everything. I have checked this and didn't find anything unusual.

Help
confused.gif
.. needing this to get things ready for physical inventory next week.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
This error usually means that you don't have the specs for the UBE and/or version on the client PC. Did you deploy the update package with the objects to this client?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe so. As stated, I promote the project, define, build, submit and deploy the package.
If I create a new version to an existing report template, no problems.
The problem is Report Templates - they will go thru the process fine until being put into a menu .. I was able to handle it all, but now I can not.
frown.gif

If you are using a Fat Client to do the menu updates:
Do a 'get' on the object when logged into PD using OMW.
Or
Install the package you deployed to the servers onto your Fat Client workstation.

Try using the web interface to update the menus.
If you get an error there, then the report templates are not being promoted properly/completely - usually caused by security/access changes.

[ QUOTE ]
Or
Install the package you deployed to the servers onto your Fat Client workstation.

If you get an error there, then the report templates are not being promoted properly/completely - usually caused by security/access changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is odd that I never had to do the 'get' before, but that did the trick! YEA!!!!!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

smile.gif
Thanks again!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or

[/ QUOTE ]

That is odd that I never had to do the 'get' before, but that did the trick! YEA!!!!!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

smile.gif
Thanks again!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I celebrated too soon. When trying to select the item in the JDE web menu, I now get the error "Versions with Client Platform marked as 'Client Only' can not be submitted from the web".

Responses to questions/statements:
- I do use a Fat Client to do the menu update.
- Doing the 'Get' function in OMW allowed the access to the report template to add it to the menu. Menu option gets error, stated above.
- When installing a package, our standard process is to put it on the server and client workstations.
- I have always done the menu updates via the Fat client/Solutions Explorer.

This is only related to Report Templates. I do not have problems installing packages related just to new versions.

Our sysadmin is no longer here, so I am trying to figure this out on my own. I have looked at my security/access and see nothing to hold me up.

Any suggestions on areas to concentrate my search in regards to security/access?

~Kelli

It's not a security issue. It's a problem with the version and how the menu is accessing it. The solution to what you describe is in Oracle Doc ID 655222.1 (link).

According to this document, the error should only be occurring when you use your newly created task to launch the batch version, meaning it probably runs OK if you launch Batch Versions, and run it that way.

To fix it, check out the version in question, go to the Version Detail, and make sure the Client Platform field has a blank in it (meaning run from both fat client and web client). Once you make the change, and click OK, you don't have to check the version back in, just erase the check out.

You also need to make sure that there is no mismatch in the Task definition. Specifically, if the Task is defined with "Prompt for Version," then the Version field should be blank. If the the Task has a version defined, then "Prompt for Version" cannot be used.

Alternatively, you can also check the F983051 table, and make sure the VRVCC1 field for the version's record is blank.

The fact that doing a Get helped fix the original problem tells me that there is something wrong with your client deployment. If the update package installed on the client PC correctly, you would not have to do the Get. The current specs would already be on there, and you should not have gotten the "Version not installed on client" error. That's why I asked about your client deployment the first time.

[ QUOTE ]
It's not a security issue. It's a problem with the version and how the menu is accessing it. The solution to what you describe is in Oracle Doc ID 655222.1 .

According to this document, the error should only be occurring when you use your newly created task to launch the batch version, meaning it probably runs OK if you launch Batch Versions, and run it that way.

To fix it, check out the version in question, go to the Version Detail, and make sure the Client Platform field has a blank in it (meaning run from both fat client and web client). Once you make the change, and click OK, you don't have to check the version back in, just erase the check out.

You also need to make sure that there is no mismatch in the Task definition. Specifically, if the Task is defined with "Prompt for Version," then the Version field should be blank. If the the Task has a version defined, then "Prompt for Version" cannot be used.

Alternatively, you can also check the F983051 table, and make sure the VRVCC1 field for the version's record is blank.

The fact that doing a Get helped fix the original problem tells me that there is something wrong with your client deployment. If the update package installed on the client PC correctly, you would not have to do the Get. The current specs would already be on there, and you should not have gotten the "Version not installed on client" error. That's why I asked about your client deployment the first time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what I found:
- Client Platform in Version Detail was set to blank, both fat client and web client.
- No mismatch in task definition. I deleted it from the menu and added it again, but since I did the Get, it doesn't see the file any other way. Will have to resubmit/install the package/template/version.
- The VRVCC1 field in the F983051 table was blank.

If installing a new version to an existing report temaplate, everything goes as expected - plus nothing has to be done to the menu.
If it is a new report template and version, then I can not specify the version with it going direct to Data Selection. I have not yet tried just having it prompt for version .. when it is new, I only had 1 version and saw no need to have it prompt for version.
I am trying to access the document, but as usual, I can not get the login to work at support.oracle.com.

I'm not sure I can see what you are seeing. I tried adding a task for a custom UBE, and could not finish entering the task without specifying a version. My lab setup is not that different from yours: E812, 8.97.1.2, SQL 2005.

So even if there's only one version, I had to enter it in to do anything else.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I can see what you are seeing. I tried adding a task for a custom UBE, and could not finish entering the task without specifying a version. My lab setup is not that different from yours: E812, 8.97.1.2, SQL 2005.

So even if there's only one version, I had to enter it in to do anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand a UBE to be report templates and the versions associated with them.
The report template being the 'master' and the versions being 'variations' of that master.

When adding a new version to a report template already in the system, it is accessible by using the Version list - and this works. If I want that particular version to be a separate option on the menu, yes, I would have to specify that version ... but it is not letting me do that .. this is when I get 'version not installed on client'.

I have brought up the package deployment list and notice that it is not installing on the client workstations that I select. I select the workstations during the deployment setup.

On the Work with Package Deployment screen, I expand the package folder and then expand the server folder it is to deploy to, then click Active, then click Deploy, then OK.

I did not have instructions to do anything to the Client Workstation folder at this stage. Is this what I am missing? Do I simply just expand the client workstation folder and activate it as I do the server? I tried this and still no success.

Any ideas on what I need to check to get it to install/deploy on the client workstations?

~K

The mechanism to deploy a package to the fat clients is different from the servers. You could try configuring the Push Install, though I have never had much luck with this.

Usually, once you specify which clients are to receive the package, and Activate it, then you will get a dialog box the next time you log into that fat client on the path code with the update package. You must double-click and place a check mark next to the package you are trying to install, and hit the Select button to start the process.

[ QUOTE ]
The mechanism to deploy a package to the fat clients is different from the servers. You could try configuring the Push Install, though I have never had much luck with this.

Usually, once you specify which clients are to receive the package, and Activate it, then you will get a dialog box the next time you log into that fat client on the path code with the update package. You must double-click and place a check mark next to the package you are trying to install, and hit the Select button to start the process.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't heard much good about the push install either.

At one time, I was able to run through this process with no problems and would receive the notice to install the package the next time I logged in, but now I do not ever get that. So, I looked up the packages in Package Deployment (P9631) and found that none of the packages were installed on the any of the clients (4 total).

When I started to encounter this problem, I asked someone else if they could get it to the menu. They went through the deploy part of the install and had no problems. This is why I thought it was related to my security .. we are both set as jde install/sysadmin - unfortunately, not enough training for either of us. I have the steps detailed out for all of this (with the exception of the window screen reference for each step), so I know I am not forgetting a step - the process use to work.

One thing I've noticed, is that the clients may not see the box for new update packages unless, after Activating the package (and possibly deploying it to the Enterprise Server), you hit the End button on the Package Deployment screen.

I don't know why this would be, but if you don't have that in your routine, give it a try and see if it makes a difference.

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I've noticed, is that the clients may not see the box for new update packages unless, after Activating the package (and possibly deploying it to the Enterprise Server), you hit the End button on the Package Deployment screen.

I don't know why this would be, but if you don't have that in your routine, give it a try and see if it makes a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, doing the workstations separately did install the package and I did get the window on my next login .. YEA!

But

My procedure is to do the clients and server at the same time. I guess I will have to do them separately now. Correct?

Below are the basics I follow to deploy a package.
Package from package build is still highlighted and active.
29. Click Deployment.
30. Click Next.
31. Click Client Workstation and Enterprise Server.
32. Click Next, then Next again.
33. Double-click the client workstations to be included (4 total).
34. Click Next, then Next again.
35. Expand the package by clicking the + sign.
36. Expand the Enterprise Server option.
37. Highlight the package.
38. Click Active. The text “(Approved)” should appear to the right.
39. Click Deploy.
40. Click OK. One report will print stating success or errors.

You don't have to break them into separate tasks. Just add step 41 - After reading and/or closing the PDF, click End at the Package Deployment screen. Then continue exiting out of all the other screens as normal.

[ QUOTE ]
You don't have to break them into separate tasks. Just add step 41 - After reading and/or closing the PDF, click End at the Package Deployment screen. Then continue exiting out of all the other screens as normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, after I ran through the process to deploy to the server, I realized I could click End after that report. The End button had been covered up, so I was just blowing right by that and never wrote it down when being shown the steps.

One little button click .. how frustrating.
crazy.gif

Thank you very much for all your help.

~Kelli
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
32. Click Next, then Next again.

[/ QUOTE ]
Kelly, I suggest you check the "Mandatory" box before hitting the second Next, to ensure the user will be forced to accept the client package.
PS You do not want different Clients to use different sets of specs ath the same time.

Back