Need Advice, best SO for a Metrologic Optimus Bar Code Reader

clmates

Reputable Poster
Hi to all.

we are looking to buy a Metrologic SP-5700 Optimus PDA. We are still on XE so we plan t use it with Terminal Server and customized forms for Inventory and Manufacturing (Trasnfers, Issues, Cycle counts, etc)

Our provider has asked us about the operating system Windows CE or Windows Mobile. I have read the MTTR and see both are supported in last version of EnterpriseOne (We plan to upgrade next year), and also both can be used like Terminal Server clients, so we could begin using it with our XE.

So what is the best SO for its use against JD Edwards?

As far as I can understand Windows CE is the base of Windows Mobile, but, do Windows mobile provide any benefit over Windows CE?

Please Advice

Thanks

Both windows mobile and windows CE will run RDP. Windows Mobile is a newer version.

You should also be able to get Citrix clients for both of them - which would be a lot more efficient over their wireless connectivity.

Once you're connected to a Terminal Server or Citrix Session - then really everything "oneworldy" occurs at the Terminal Session. I haven't got direct experience of the PDA you're referring to - but I do use my phone to connect to JDE servers (I'm using an HTC Touch Pro) - and it works really well over the Sprint 3G network.

Windows Mobile is better supported than Windows CE. Its like the difference between Windows 95 and Windows XP.

Hi,

We have used a dcLINK product on a Windows CE PDA which interfaced with JDE. As John said, I would be too worried about the JDE aspect rather check with the vendor about your wireless requirements.

We had a dificult time setting up the wireless with proper encrytion. It would drop connections constantly. Luckily for us our vendor would come out with fixes in time.

Hi.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

We have used a dcLINK product on a Windows CE PDA which interfaced with JDE. As John said, I would be too worried about the JDE aspect rather check with the vendor about your wireless requirements.

We had a dificult time setting up the wireless with proper encrytion. It would drop connections constantly. Luckily for us our vendor would come out with fixes in time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice, We plan to use no special software, but to design our own applications or forms for use in the PDA.

Regarding the Wireless, well Is interesting your information for taking this in account, we plan to use wep or wpa, ans limit devices by mac, but we have no special security concerns because we are going to use it in a very low populated zone (a new industrial zone), where we almost are alone :-D

Thanks

Back