Printing to create!form director queue from an iSeries

serenity_now

Hi,

I have create!form installed on a Windows Server. I have a printer setup and shared pointing to a Director 6 job.

I cant seem to get printing to work when printing from my iSeries server. I have setup the outq in iSeries, pointed it at the remote server and share, however when a job gets submitted it just gets held in the queue with a status of HLD. When I try to release it it goes to a staus of RDY. However, when I do this the writer seems to stop. This is as far as I can get. It never makes it way to the printer.

Has anyone done this? Do you have any configurations for the iSeries printer?

It sounds like something is wrong with your configuration on the AS/400. Did you install Create!send on the AS/400?

You'll need that utility and then use it to define a "Create!send Writer" on the AS/400. That's the AS/400 OUTQ you'll use to send spool files to the Windows CformServer.

The OUTQ on the AS/400 needs to be defined to send spoolfiles to the IP address of the Windows CformServer and the share name of the printer queue you've defined for Director6.

On the Windows server, make sure you have Print Services for UNIX (LRP Port Monitor) installed. That's the communication path from the AS/400 to the Windows server. If you release a spool file and it just gets stuck in SND status that's an indication that the two systems are not communicating.

Hope this helps -

Karen.

I have seen this problem before on our iSeries. It might be the "Remote system" setting when creating the output queue. You need to use "*INTNETADR" and this will give you more options to specify the IP Address of the Create!Form server. Check the other values for the iSeries output queue. Below are the settings on our iSeries.

Remote system: *INTNETADR
Remote printer queue: '<create!form_inbound_queue>'
Connection Type: *IP
Destination Type: *OTHER

You will need to delete the output queue on the iSeries and recreate it if changes are needed for the Remote System setting.

Let us know how it goes.

Nestor.

If the AS400 writer is going from a RLS/WTR status to just a RLS status then you'll need to look at the trace log to find out why the writer is ending: WRKJOB (outqueue name)

So, if the output queue is called Director, command is: WRKJOB DIRECTOR (enter)
- Then select the active job or the most current
- Then option 10 to view trace log
- Then F10 to view details

If this writer is defined as a Create!send writer (STRSND is command to use to find out) then a couple things must be in place
1) Your form project must be uploaded to the AS400 to the Create!form IFS file share
2) The name of the form project must match the formtype field of your spoolfile

- If the form project name does not match the formtype field in your spoolfile you can either change the formtype field in your spoolfile to match the form project OR create a formtype (using STRSND) which calls the form project and name it to match the formtype field in your spoolfile.

If the AS400 writer is not a Create!send writer and your just trying to get connectivity working:
1) Outqueue uses IP Address and share name of the Win writer (sounds like you have this in place)
2) TCP/IP Print Server Service must be started & running on the Win Server
(Added via Add / Remove Programs > Add / Remove Windows Components > Select Other Network & Print file Services > Click Details > Select Print Services for Unix)

I would get basic connectivity working first, then try using it as a Create!send writer.

STRSND can either add it or remove it as a Create!send writer (Option 2)

Thanks for the replies. Seems the *INTNETADR was the culprit. Now I just have to find a way around the iSeries trimming the filename when it sends it to my Windows output queue!

And to answer the question a few posts above, no, I dont have create!send or create!send writers. With our version of JDE it is not needed anymore.

ok, so your running JDE E1, AS400 Ent. Server sending a PDF to Cform 6.4 to call a director project.

What kind of problem are you running into with the UBE file name?

The name of the PDF job (UBE) from an E1 AS400 output queue to Cform 6.4 on windows is rarely a problem.

Is there an issue with Cform calling a director project or calling the correct director project?

Mark

The problem was/is that when my iSeries queue prints and sends the document to my Windows queue, it only sends the actual UBE name. For example, if I were sending an address book report it would send R0101Z1 instead of R0101Z1_VERSION_PDF.pdf.

I got around this by manipulating the "FileName" paramter from the input file in create!form Director. Not ideal, but hey it works.

In your experience, does the iSeries output queue send the entire filename to the windows server? Most things on the iSeries are truncated to 8 charachters right?

When a PDF print job from your AS/400 is on a printer queue on the Windows CformServer, go to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS" and open the SPL file for the print job with WordPad. Does it have a /FileName parameter? If yes, what information is given with that parameter (is it the full UBE_Version_JobNumber or just the truncated UBE name)?

Back