JAS Web Server perofrmance on iSeries

serenity_now

Hi,

We are running JD Edwards 8.12 on an iSeries V5R4 box. The tools release of our JDE is 8.97.25.

We are running IBM WebSphere Application Server version 6.0.2.23 on the same iSeries box as our Enterprise server. We are currently running DV,PY,PD instances on this iSeries box.

We also have 2 intel (Windows 2003) web servers running the same WebSphere version.

I am finding that the Intel servers greatly outperform the iSeries when it comes to the Web Clients. The settings on each are identical.

Just curious if anyone else out there has found this and perhaps happens to have any kind of tweaks to improve performance?

The iSeries is not being over utilized either, they are currently only about 10 users using JD Edwards, and CPU/Memory usage is still very low.

Thanks!

This is really just a performance tuning exercise.

I have 10+ 8.12/9.0 clients running WebSphere on the iSeries with good performance.

What are the specs of the AS/400 and Intel Servers?

Generally for this few users I typically do away with the Intel Web Servers and run everything on the iSeries - have proven configurations for up to 500+ users.

Colin

I would rather run the web off the iSeries, but I dont think I can go live with the kind of speed we sometimes experience.

The windows servers are dual 3ghz processors with 8GB of RAM.

I dont know the exact specs of the iSeries, but it is only 1 year old. The %CPU used rarely exceeds 20, and there is about 65% disk space left.

Things like logon times, retrieving records, etc, all seem slower on the iSeries. We also get notifications from Server Manager that the instance is going down, when really it isnt.

Think of the difference between an iSeries and intel box as being similiar to the difference between a Clydedale and Quarterhorse . . .

the difference of course being that a quarter horse can drink a small amount of beer very quickly while a clydesdale can steadily consume vast amounts of budweiser.
wink.gif

Without knowing the specs of the AS400 I really couldn't compare.

Do you know how many processors it has? Is it on a Blade or standard rack mount?

How much memory does it have?

There are actually a few major advantages to running WebSphere on the iSeries.

Hav you looked at the IBM tuning documents and implemented the quick wins?

I would also strongly recommend moving to WAS 6.1 - totally different animal on the AS/400.

Of all my JDE AS/400 Web Clients only one is running WAS 6.0 and everyone else is on WAS 6.1.

You might want to look at getting an expert field consultant in to assist. A few days of tuning can go a very long way.

Colin

[ QUOTE ]
Think of the difference between an iSeries and intel box as being similiar to the difference between a Clydedale and Quarterhorse . . .

the difference of course being that a quarter horse can drink a small amount of beer very quickly while a clydesdale can steadily consume vast amounts of budweiser.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

"Beer: The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems"

--Homer Simpson

Hi we are running an all-on-i on our test system and it is significantly faster than intel(currently 20-30 concurrent users). We are going live with 500 users in May with an iseries system. We have volume performance tested and we haven't had any issues. The problems you have are probably due to config. Ideally you should be on the latest version of websphere 6.1.0.21.

It would be nice to know the spec of your machine, processor and memory. It sounds like you have plenty of DASD(disk).
the below document is from the ibm competency centre and is a good starter to get you going on tuning it correctly.
http://www-03.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/5cb5ed706d254a8186256c71006d2e0a/99890144d958f18a8625729e007f27c3/$FILE/JDE%20E1%208.12%20Sys%20i%20WAS%206%20Tuning%20020708.pdf
let us know how you get on......
Rich

Thanks for the replies. I would guess that running off the iSeries SHOULD be faster, which is why I know there has to be something wrong.

I am by no means a iSeries guru, but I know enough to get JDE running on it, do backups, ptfs, etc.

Embarassingly, im not sure how to tell how fast the processor is. I am almost certain it is dual processors though. I am also almost certain I have 8GB of memory in there. At least in wrksyssts the pools add up to about 8GB.

Someobody mentioned implementing the quick wins from the guide. Is this from the JDE WAS tuning guide? I guess I havent read it hard enough and overlooked that. I will take a more detailed look at the guide and see if anything pops out. Will also look at upgrading WAS on the iSeries, to those who have done it, is the upgrade a big deal?

Thanks

Hi serenity_now

You could also using the WRKSHRPOOL command which will show you the total memory.

To check the processor, you can use the STRSST tool.
Option 1. Start a service tool.
Option 7. Hardware service manager.
Option 2. Logical hardware resources (buses, IOPs, controllers,...).
Option 2. Processor resources.

This should show you how many processors the system has.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Misael

to tell us the iseries spec you need to dspsysval qprcfeat
and dspsysval qmodel. Tell us what they say and then we can work out the power of your box. We've got about 10Gb memory on our box so 8Gb doesn't sound too bad although more is always better. Don't get too hung up about clock speeds on the processors, what counts is the CPW rating (Commercial Processing Workload). A key area is memory pools, you should partition the workload for WAS and for kernel processes so you don't get contention. There are lots of settings in the INI file too that can be tweaked as well. Are you running anything else on the same box....?

No, we are not running anything other JDE on this box.

When running those commands, I get:

Processor Feature: 6913
Model Number: 525
Wrkshrpool: 7672.76MB
System Type: 9406
Processor type/model are 8330.

Any input is appreciated!

Looks like you have 3800 CPW (1 CPU) or 7100 CPW (2 CPU). You'll have to check the number of activated processors to find out

http://www.mysiriuszone.com/component/option,com_docman/task,doc_download/gid,3708/

How many users do you have (concurrent) and what modules are you running?

Really depends on your business but just for comaprison I have a client going live tomorrow on 9.0 running 75 concurrent users across Finance, Distribution, Transportation and Manufacturing on a 3800 CPW box with no performance issues.

Box is being upgraded to a 2 core E4A 1 month after go-live which boost the machine to 9500 CPW

Everything runs on the AS/400 (Database, Enterprise, WebSphere). Even the Deployment Server is an IXS card.

With some careful tuning you can really get WAS on the AS400 running just as well if not better than on Intel.

What OS release are you on? V5R4, V6R1?

Also do you know the JDEdwards Tools Release and WebShere Version that you are running?

If you don't know how to find any of these answers just state what you can't find and someone will post instructions on how to grab the information.

Colin

Hey,
We currently only have about 15 concurrent users, however when we go live we will have about 75? As far as modules, we are running Finance,Advanced Pricing,Distribution,Manufacturing.

The iSeries is at V5R4. We are on tools 8.97.25 running Websphere 6.0.2.23.

Under "Display Processor Information" after starting a service tool on the iseries, I see two System Processor resources (MP01,MP02) although they have the same serial number.

I really think it just needs to be tuned (not sure if it is the iseries itself, or the WAS/JAS settings though).

yes you're quite right, tuning is all you need, although if you have the budget I would get some more memory if I was you. There of CNC people on the list who could help you out if you need consultancy.

Back