Create!form not deleting temporary files from server

Eric Lehti

VIP Member
We are on:
Create!form Server/Designer/Director/bind/Print/pdf at release 6.4.20.9427
Create!email/fax at release 6.4.0.8571
Question for Create!email users:
Will you please go to your Create!form (Create!email) server and look in this folder:
C:\Program Files\Create!form\spool
Does the folder have thousands of .tmp files (shown below) that need to be deleted? Our spool folder does.
I am wondering if you and others have this scenario, or whether our configuration is unique and that no one else experiences this.
I submitted to Bottomline a request that Create!form/Create!email delete files from this folder. In the meantime, we will schedule a .bat executable to delete files from this folder.
++++++++++++
%PDF-1.0
%cpBegin
%cpOrigProject:SLSACK
%cpParam:-sSLSACK
%cpEmailBegin
%cpEmail:-COPYTO\\schroeder\public\JDE2PDF\SBAKER\350281_SO.pdf
%cpEmailEnd
%cpEnd

Eric,

This is unique to your configuration and is not normal behavior with Create!form, Create!email or Create!fax

The \Spool directory is used for temporarily holding .tmp files while they are processed by Create!form.

As the extension indicates, .tmp files are temporary files.

After the files are processed they are removed and are not retained in this directory.

If this directory has thousands of these files then there could be a problem with either your director project and / or your bind instruction.

These files are left here because the job could not process completely, has failed, thus the files are left.

There is no 'setting' in any Create!form module to delete these as this is automatic.

There is a trace log called Create!form bind.log in c:\program files\Create!form\Temp and might be worth looking at.

Is the copy getting to \\schroeder\public\JDE2PDF\SBAKER?

If you like, I can take a look at your director project?
- Send me the .dpp6 file
- Also send a screen print of your bind instruction

Mark

I checked mine and only found a couple hundred and since I have never looked here, this would have been for 2 years worth of running lots of things through CreateEmail.

Guys,

Heres what I would look at:

How old are the .tmp files & what types of jobs are they?

.tmp files in the \spool directory can be from any type of job (print, fax, email, archive, sort & bind, etc)

You can open the .tmp file in any text editor and the JTT Header parameters at the top will indicate the type of job.

If files are accumulating in this directory, there is a configuration problem.

Just trying to help.
Mark

Eric,

Do you have a Publisher license? Maybe it's the COPYTO parameter in your JTT file that's causing TMP files to get left in the Spool folder.

If you don't have a Publisher license, try adding a node in the Cdirector project to delete TMP files from the Spool folder.

Karen.

Another great tip to keep in mind:

There's a trace log each 'hop' of the way
- Open the Director trace log in Create!form Server 6.x
- Open the Forms Merging trace log (usually a separate printer) also in Create!form Server 6.x
- Open the Create!email trace log (if its an email job) in Create!email server.

You should see evidence of the problem in one of these logs.

Mark

I am very grateful to Mark Horton of Bottomline, Karen Swaeby and others, for comments.
This morning, Monday 12/07, Karen Swaeby and I worked together for 2 1/2 hours reconfiguring Create!form and Create!email and performing multiple tests. Karen and I are making progress but need more assistance from Bottomline. Karen is sending our latest .tmp and .log files to Bottomline Tech support right now.
Have a good day all.

Back