Variable Subform - Logo/signatures

ssolberg

VIP Member
Sorry for what might appear to be a real newbie question but I'm baffled on the process to properly use variable subforms. I've read documentation and played around but I must be missing something.

I want to use an incoming variable to drive the correct logo on the form. I have a "company name" field coming in and want to use it to place the proper logo.

What I can't figure out is how do I do this type of condition:
"if {company variable} = "XYZ", then use variable subform "BigLogoXYZ".

In the documentation, it says "if the value in the variable corresponds with the name of the subform, the subform will display...". I'm easily confused...

Here is a break down for you:

First, create subforms that contain the logo/address. Name them something reasonable that easily identifies what they are and who they are for (example COMPANY_00100, COMPANY_00200, etc.).

In the Condition column; in your case the expression used would be something like "If company name = xyz". There is a little bit more to getting a solid expression but you get the idea.

In the Variable Name column; name the variable, something generic like "LOGOADDR" is fine. This will be the variable name referenced in the Variable Subform object.

In the Value column; you can either name the subform to be used specifically "COMPANY_00100" or build a variable expression that builds the subform name dynamically.

Hope this helps get you going -

Karen.

Thanks for the reminder. I must have been having a "blonde moment" or something even though I'm not blonde (anymore). For whatever reason, I got lost on the User Variable stuff and I got it now. Duh! I think I got it working... more testing! Thanks again.

Hi Karen,

I have been trying to follow your comments here on the variable sub-forms, but cannot get it to work for me. I am using CreateForm 2.7.20.4322 and trying to print a sub-form for a variable state code from the input data.

1) I created the form containing the words to print only for that state and have it as a (sub)form on the page to be printed. (I can't give the object a name though)

2) I have an expression on the datamap that evaluates based on whether the data matches "CA". If it does the expression is useform("ca_notice) else skip("ca_notice")

3) But there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a "variable sub-form object". I am obviously missing something.
Can you help in more basic terms?

confused.gif

David Ransdell

You're not overlooking anything. Cform v2.7 does not have Variable Subform objects. You can configure the form project to change logo's "dynamically" but it's more involved with that older version.

Are you running Cform v2.7 on AS/400, NT or UNIX? Any plans for moving up to v6?

Karen.

We are running it on NT and as/400. I have asked bottomline about the cost to move to V6. We are on maintenance. Should it be free or would there be some cost?

David

Hi David ... I'll reply to this in addition to what Karen might post. If you are current on maintenance the software itself will be no charge, i.e., version 6.4 of designer / server. There likely would be costs for install / upgrade consulting assistance that you would need (if you needed the help). For what it is worth, we have found that customers of ours who migrate from the 2.7 version to the 6.x version end up with a lot less projects and tighter / cleaner ones if they had many projects where things like logos, signatures and other stuff were in place - not as easy to do in the 2.x releases.

Are you using Create!Stream as well? If so, getting the Create!form Director module (it is also no charge as an upgrade from Stream) adds a lot of capabilities.

You should give thought to getting some training on the new stuff if you go that route. And although there are conversion tools out there to help migrate projects, I would personally strongly suggest doing them from scratch … best way to get clean projects, not bring forward “mistakes from the past”, and work with the new capabilities.

If you're current on maintenance then the software upgrade should be no charge.

There is good and bad to upgrading;

Good: You can install, configure and get things tested while running in parallel with the old Cform v2.7. Cform6 is full of new features that make it well worth the effort of upgrading. One of those features is that you can now print to PCL printers.

Bad: To take full advantage of the new functionality and features you basically have to re-design your form projects as "new" projects in Cform6. There is an "import legacy project" function but what you get ends up being exactly like the old v2.7 project and very difficult to change around to use new Cform6 features.

Maybe some other JDEList'ers can share their advice on upgrading.

Karen.

Back