CreateStream Lookup - Program type out of range

Sef

Sef

VIP Member
I am trying to make the Create!Stream output configurable.

We have scheduled reports running over the weekend and rather than hardcoding the email destinations in create!Stream or adding the email addresses to the pdf, I want to use a custom table with only 2 columns. Column 1 = UBE name (+version + environment) and column 2 is the destination email address.
By using the Create!Stream lookup-list functionality (after setting up the appropriate ODBC connetions to the E1 database) I can find the destination email address.

However, whilst trialing this solution I receive the error 'Program type out of range'. Strangely enough if I retrieve a numeric value from a table the method is successful!? Retrieving a character field or a string always fails!
Bottomline suggests that the string type (nvarchar vs varchar) is incompatible.

Has anybody else seen this issue and have a solution for it?

TIA for any feedback,

Hey Sef,

Very odd indeed. The Create!stream User Guide specifically states that the lookup can be used for this "In the Out-Field column, select the field that contains the data you want to
retrieve. For example this can be an e-mail address or a fax number." Most likely there is a specific way the lookup & expressions have to be configured to make this work. Perhaps another JDElister knows.

Other thoughts...
What is the date & version of the CstreamBuilder and CstreamServer executables? From what I can tell the last update to Cstream was v3.2.21.6523 released 24-Oct-2006.

Have you considered upgrading to CformServer v6? Cdirector projects replace Cstream scripts and CformServer6 replaces the CstreamServer app. It can run in parallel with CstreamServer and is so much more functional that Cstream.

Hope this helps -

Karen.

Hi Karen

Thanks for your feedback. I have tried to manually manipulate the SQL as well. I have tried substr, left and to_char. Even when I enter an sql and hardcode the outcome like 'select '[email protected]' from tablename where..... I receive an error. Strangely enough when I select a numeric value like 'select eaan8 from proddta.f01151 where eauser = 'Sef'' the address book number is passed correctly.

btw we are on E1 version 9.00, tools 8.98.12 and CreateStream 3.0.21.6523

Sef,

We used to use a look up to print to specific printers. I used an MS Access table to store the data. I retrieved string/character data without any problem. This was in the Create!stream days before Director. The need for this look up no longer exists and I think the funcntionality was deleted last time we upgraded Create!form.

Peter makes a good point... try putting your data in a simple Access or Excel table. Not the best solution since you'd have to maintain the table outside of JDE. But it's way better than hard coding all of that in Cstream scripts.

We have now narrowed down the problem to an incompatibility issue in data types. In E900 all strings are nchars or nvarchars and (our version of?) Create!Stream can only interpret chars or varchars. I checked at a different client (on ERP8) and noticed in older versions the data types are char and varchar. This leads me to believe that in older versions the proposed solution will work fine, but in newer versions it won't (not sure though from which version of E1 the data types have changed).
As a work around we are creating a new E1 table and changing the property of the selected string from nvarchar to varchar (at database level).

Back