sharing the tape drive between partitions question

wgrantusa

Well Known Member
I have instructions on sharing the tape drive between the two partitions but I think it is missing something because when I move it back to Partition 1, the device name changes and I have to do a bunch of steps to get it back to the original name of TAP01.

Here are the steps I follow:
1.Vary off TAP01 on Production Partition (WRKCFGSTS *DEV)
2.On HMC Console
In the Navigation Area click on Server Mangement
Right click on Production Partition
Choose Dynamic Logical Partitioning
Choose Physical Adapters Resources
Choose Move
Open Bus and highlight
Make sure Logical Partition (on bottom) says ‘TEST3’
Click on ‘Force Removal of Active Resources’
Click OK
3. Takes a few minutes
4. Vary on TAP01 on Test Partition

I reverse this when I want to go back to the Prod partition. When I open the bus, what I am highlighting? All of the entries or just the tape drive?

On the pre-Power6 AS/400s you have to select the IOP and IOA (everything on the bus) to move between partitions. Your naming issue is because on Partition 1 the system value for auto config is turned on. It really shouldn't be renaming anyway, but to ensure the tape drive doesn't get a new name every time enter this command on Partition 1 - CHGSYSVAL SYSVAL(QAUTOCFG) VALUE(0)

Stephanie,
Are there other resources on that bus besides the IOP and IOA? If not, you absolutely should not have to check 'force removal'. If there are, they really need to be varied off as well.

Now it seems I have lost my tape drive. When I moved them back only 2 of the entries went over.

I now have:
Slot T7 - Universal Serial Bus UHC Spec (no model # and no serial #)

Slot T5 - PCI 10/100/1000 mpbs ethernet UTP 2-port 5706-001 00-B6B3F9A

Not sure what happened to my Ultrium Tape drive??? How do I get it back?

In the HMC at the system level (one up from partition), right click and go into properties. You can click the I/O tab and see where the resources are allocated.

Back