confusion in client package

Wasim Ahmed

documentation at metalink says that when you apply an ESU the process of package assembly is done by software update->ESU apply process. we have to do only build and deploy the package. I am facing confusion, I applied Plant manager dashboard which i wanted to deploy as server package but I found that ofermention process of applying ESU is making package only for client. Now I had to start the process from assembly to deploy for server update package.
My question is that why the esu is for client only?

I don't remember the decision making process on this one, but it shouldn't be too hard to do inactivate the build, hit Package Build Revisions, and add the server portion.

Also, you will want to go back to Package Assembly, and modify the package to point to your current parent full package. They usually create the update package to point to the "FA" package, and people are rarely using that particular package beyond initial implementation.

Considering your situation (applying Plant Manager Dashboard), you should be building a new full package anyway, because of the new DLL.

I have to agree with Ken. The Client and Server selection are part of the Package Build process and not related to the ESU process. Sounds like a check was missed when asked if the Build was for Client and Server. Easy to check - look for the R9622 output in the PrintQueue on the build PC. Also concur about always attaching to the parent package (but would not impact whether the server build was created or not), and the Full Build would be best in this case. Be sure that in the Planner Environment the ESU shows as being applied to your PD Environment before you do a FB (or another update/revision to existing update). Should be able to tell when builing your update and selecting the OMW Project, use the wildcard around the ESU number, e.g. *PG2189*. It sounds like the ESU was applied to the environment but just that the server build was not selected in the Package Build process.

Back