Masking JDE URLs using Apache

renga

Hi list,

We are on E1 9.0 with SQL Server 2005 SP3 as the DB and OAS 10.1.3.1.0 as the App Server using OHS as the HTTP Server. Here, we have installed two JAS instances on two separate machines JDE1 and JDE2 and have load balanced them on an experimental basis on Windows NLB using a cluster name Clus1. For sake of convenience, we have setup both JAS instances on port 8090 on each machine. All works fine, and the links split equally as it looks now. The only problem is when a user logs in into the link Clus1:8090, as soon as it logs in into JDE, the URL shows up as JDE1:8090 or JDE2:8090 depending on which server it has been balanced to. What we would like here, is that irrespective of the machine it balances into, the URL on the browser should still show up as Clus1:8090.

Also when the user logs out, the link comes back into JDE1:8090 or JDE2:8090 immediately after signing out. We would like all users to use only Clus1:8090 and not accidentally use JDE1:8090 and JDE2:8090 i.e. we dont want them to be aware of the separate links, but just one link Clus1:8090. I have tried exploring the mod_rewrite feature in Apache, but could not grasp it well.

Would be great if any of you guys could help me with the URL masking(if I may call it that) here or any other solution which would help do the same. Thanks a ton in advance!

Regards,
Renga.

These two posts may help you out:

http://jeffstevenson.karamazovgroup.com/2008/09/load-balancing-at-all-levels-in.html

http://jeffstevenson.karamazovgroup.com/2009/01/simple-e1-url.html

[ QUOTE ]
Hi list,

We are on E1 9.0 with SQL Server 2005 SP3 as the DB and OAS 10.1.3.1.0 as the App Server using OHS as the HTTP Server. Here, we have installed two JAS instances on two separate machines JDE1 and JDE2 and have load balanced them on an experimental basis on Windows NLB using a cluster name Clus1. For sake of convenience, we have setup both JAS instances on port 8090 on each machine. All works fine, and the links split equally as it looks now. The only problem is when a user logs in into the link Clus1:8090, as soon as it logs in into JDE, the URL shows up as JDE1:8090 or JDE2:8090 depending on which server it has been balanced to. What we would like here, is that irrespective of the machine it balances into, the URL on the browser should still show up as Clus1:8090.

Also when the user logs out, the link comes back into JDE1:8090 or JDE2:8090 immediately after signing out. We would like all users to use only Clus1:8090 and not accidentally use JDE1:8090 and JDE2:8090 i.e. we dont want them to be aware of the separate links, but just one link Clus1:8090. I have tried exploring the mod_rewrite feature in Apache, but could not grasp it well.

Would be great if any of you guys could help me with the URL masking(if I may call it that) here or any other solution which would help do the same. Thanks a ton in advance!

Regards,
Renga.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Jeff and Charles,

I have contemplated using Oracle Web Cache and have used it for vertical load balancing successfully. However, I have not been able to configure horizontal load balancing between two machines using Web Cache. Hence I had tried to configure a mixture of Oracle Web Cache and Windows NLB.

Jeff: In fact, I had gone through both your articles before posting, and they have helped me well. I just want to know how to mask the URL whenever they are redirected to each JAS instance. Would appreciate it if you could point me to any helpful links with examples for the same.

P.S. I have presently dropped the Oracle Web Cache and am just using the plain JDE JAS links on NLB. Hence I have not placed the WebCache part on my first post.

Thanks to both of you for your help!

Regards,
Renga.

Back