New Batch server - Recycled name

gregglarkin

gregglarkin

Legendary Poster
Hi gurus (and Jon
grin.gif
)

Having an annoying problem. I set up a new batch server. It works fine, the services come up, I can submit a job to it, the job creates a PDF. The only hitch is that nothing shows up in "work with servers". I see not status information. I am recycling an old name. I had the mappings, ODBCs, server maps, etc. for this server already set up. Basically it's a new server, but old name. I cleared out the table for the old jobs from the previous server, but none of the new stuff is being added to the table. I remember seeing this before, but I can't remember the fix. Any thoughts?

Version - XE
Wintel server
SP 23
Simple batch server

I picked the brains of the other two CNCs and opened an SR with Oracle, but I'm willing to bet that JDElist will come up with the soultion faster. Thanks in advance.

- Gregg

I know this may sound crazy, but have you bounced services on your main enterprise/security server? Maybe the kernels just need to be restarted.

Max

M@dm@x

- been there, done that. no dice. I had this happen once before and it was some totally obscure item that needed to be adjusted. Just can't remember what we did. I'm going to write it down this time....

This is a strange one man. Did you have to update a sys table before?

Max

Same IP address as the old server?

DNS?

What shows up when you ping it?

Have you tried a ipconfig /flushdns on the machine from which you are trying to view WSJ?

Have you tried ipconfig /flushdns on other machines? Go crazy, flush like a madman. It might not solve anything but it will make you look busy.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi gurus (and Jon
grin.gif
)

Having an annoying problem. I set up a new batch server. It works fine, the services come up, I can submit a job to it, the job creates a PDF. The only hitch is that nothing shows up in "work with servers". I see not status information. I am recycling an old name. I had the mappings, ODBCs, server maps, etc. for this server already set up. Basically it's a new server, but old name. I cleared out the table for the old jobs from the previous server, but none of the new stuff is being added to the table. I remember seeing this before, but I can't remember the fix. Any thoughts?

Version - XE
Wintel server
SP 23
Simple batch server

I picked the brains of the other two CNCs and opened an SR with Oracle, but I'm willing to bet that JDElist will come up with the soultion faster. Thanks in advance.

- Gregg

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Same IP address as the old server?

DNS?

What shows up when you ping it?

Have you tried a ipconfig /flushdns on the machine from which you are trying to view WSJ?

Have you tried ipconfig /flushdns on other machines? Go crazy, flush like a madman. It might not solve anything but it will make you look busy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff - interesting train of thought. Haven't tried that. It is a different IP address than the former server. I'll walk down that road for a bit and see where it goes. Shoulda started from scratch, this is what I get for recycling....

BTW - I put in the service request to Oracle an hour before I posted the question to the list, still haven't heard a word from them.... My old third party guys got back to me in minutes....
frown.gif

- Gregg

Max and Jeff

Thanks for your thoughts - we just found the issue. There was a stray entry in the jde.ini on the new server that was incorrect. The new (recycled) server is named usabs10. It was cloned from usabs11, including the INI. There was a stray entry in the "bs10" INI that listed "bs11". We fixed that and restarted the services and now things are working.

Unfortunately, my boss was helping out on this, so I can't milk it for another couple more hours, so back to my regular duties......
grin.gif

- Gregg

[ QUOTE ]
Max and Jeff

Thanks for your thoughts - we just found the issue. There was a stray entry in the jde.ini on the new server that was incorrect. The new (recycled) server is named usabs10. It was cloned from usabs11, including the INI. There was a stray entry in the "bs10" INI that listed "bs11". We fixed that and restarted the services and now things are working.

Unfortunately, my boss was helping out on this, so I can't milk it for another couple more hours, so back to my regular duties......
grin.gif

- Gregg

[/ QUOTE ]

Still, me thinks you should go out and get some Pizza from Fat Mans tonight. Man, I miss Buffalo.

Max

Gurus,

As predicted - between the list and my two other CNCs, we solved the problem faster than it took Oracle to respond. I just now received an email from them for an SR I entered early this morning....

- Gregg

But did anything they suggest point to the INI ?

I'm always amazed how fast a response JDEList provides. Of course, given the fact that 40% of a CNC's workload is monitoring JDEList, that isn't TOO surprising !

Their first response was the typical stall and ask questions dance. Nothing useful, nothing that pointed at the INI. My Asian counterpart found it when he poked around. At the same time my boss also found another clue pointing toward the same end. It helps when you get a fresh pair of eyes looking at an issue.

I wouldn't say that 40% of my workload is monitoring JDElist, 39.5% maybe....

- Gregg

[ QUOTE ]

- Gregg

[/ QUOTE ]

In your case, you have to factor in another 10 to 20% for posting to JDEList.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

- Gregg

[/ QUOTE ]

In your case, you have to factor in another 10 to 20% for posting to JDEList.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it works out well, I get most of my ideas for JDEtips articles from the discussions on the list. I figure if it's a hot topic here, others will want to read about it. Sometimes I go in the other direction, I'll have an idea for article, and then start a discussion to see what y'all have to say about it. Seems to me that another author I know has drawn some inspiration from this forum...

- Gregg

[ QUOTE ]
Their first response was the typical stall and ask questions dance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they dance the funky chicken?

Max

Hi Gregg,

the stray entry that you mentioned in the post, do you remember what it was exactly? We have done a similar migration and are facing the exact same issue. GSC has come back with same old questions.

Regards,

Vikks
ERP8 Sun SP23 10G

Vikks,

In my case, there was a stray entry in the batch server's INI that was incorrect. I had copied over an INI from another batch server, changed server names in some spots, but missed one in the INI. Check out System OCMs too.

- Gregg

Back