AS/400 E1 8.12 - QBATCH Jobs Waiting with none Processing

Jeremy M.

Jeremy M.

Well Known Member
JDEList,

I have a client that is on an AS/400. I absolutely know nothing about the AS/400. They are running E1 8.12 TR 8.97.2.5. Twice now they have had jobs build up in a Waiting status for several hours in the QBATCH job queue. There were no jobs currently processing in ANY job queues. A job submitted to any other job queue ran immediately. Randomly, after several hours the QBATCH job queue will start to process all the jobs waiting. The enterprise server didn't have any zombies. I somewhat understand that the AS/400 has its own completely seperate and independent of JDE job queue called QBATCH as well. I have had some of the AS/400 users send me a screenshot of an AS/400 screen that shows the AS/400 QBATCH that had several listings controlled by the ONEWORLD user, on that same screen they also showed listings controlled by JDE user that where the actual reports they were waiting on.

Does anyone have any idea on what could be happening and how I could go about troubleshooting this?

Thanks,
Jeremy

The QBATCH job queue sends jobs to the QBATCH subsystem, which processes jobs of all different types. My first guess is that the 400 operators have some long running jobs of their own that they submit there and the UBEs are waiting behind those, which is why you don't see UBEs in processing state in WSJ.

It sounds like you have QBATCH setup for the default UBE job queue. You should setup a dedicated jobq for UBEs to default to instead of QBATCH. For example, our default UBE queue is E812BATCH.

They actually do have a different default job queue setup in JDE and the majority of jobs are processing on this job queue just fine with no wait. The QBATCH job queue in JDE is setup as a single threaded job queue and only runs a handful of different reports in JDE. So, if there are other AS/400 jobs running outside of JDE on the QBATCH this would be holding up the jobs in JDE. Is this correct?

If so, would you reconmmend rerouting these few jobs to a different job queue?

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have typically seen QBATCH set up to process 4 to 5 jobs that run most of the user jobs. The single threaded job Q's are created separately and for a specific purpose, like posting jobs that should only run one at a time. All the Post versions point to this special JobQ. We have about 3 of these. This way it is easier to monitor and control and we know what exactly runs in these One at a Time Q's. All other jobs that do not matter run on QBATCH (that either run fast enough - no time hogs here OR that do not need to run single threaded).

I suggest evaluating this approach rather than keeping QBATCH single-threaded

Back