Sales Order configurator - doc / external use

jejelb

Hi,

We are on the way to simulate JDE configurator using an external tool (web based). We are still thinking about the architecture to put in place to achieve this but prior to this we would like some feebacks from people who have already implemented this kind of setup...

In addition, to understand the rules behind the configurator tables, we are looking for technical documentation regarding configurator behaviour inside JDE...

Thanks in advance for those of you who could provide some informations.

Jérôme
confused.gif
confused.gif

Salut Jérôme,

When i read your post i thought : wow ! It's really a big challenge to try to simulate Sales Order Configurator.
May i ask you why you need to simulate configurator with an external tool ? Is it for instance to let your customer enter their configured orders from a web site ?

We use the same version as you (Xe SP23), and we use the configurator a lot. We have thousands of configured items, of configuration rules. And we already faced the limit of configurator that allow only 500 characters configured strings for each configured item in an order.
Furthermore, we did a lot of work to try to understand how was working the configuration strings, in order to purge configuration tables (because many many many records are useless. In our case, something like 50% of records), and to archive configured strings.

If you're interested in some information about configuration tables (their link with the sales orders lines, their link one with another, as the configured string are stored in several tables with several format), please let me know.

About all the work done in the configurator, that's a different story. The way it processes rules, the work in cache, and the thousand of transactions done to validate the configuration require some very good development skills, especially in C++.
I don't know if you already had a look at a debug log file for an order configuration, but it's really huge !

Rgds,

Bonjour Antoine,

Do you speak french first ? with such firstname that would make sense...

To answer your initial question the aim of this demand is indeed to give at least salesman to be able to do quotation using a light web based application which can be used inside the customer area...

I had a look to Business function and jdedebug.log and that is why I asked for some help in case this would have been done by someone in the past...indeed this is a huge work to do...

We have already investigated on the data structure of the configurator but if you have some documentation that can be shared, I'm interested..it would confirmed (I hope:) our study. (You can use my email address : [email protected] to send it)

Concerning the limited length of config strings, I've not heard complaints so far from fundation department, hope it will not come...we are using a lot of coding for that with short naming convention which help dicreasing the total length...

Any question on your side, if i'm knowledgeable i'd appreciate to help.

regards
Jérôme

Hello,

If you're interested in considering a 3rd party software approach (ERP2Web) my company has provided this functionality for many JDE "to-order" (golf, window, etc.) companies. It's enabled for both customers and employees (your need.) It works real-time against JDE logic, cross-segment, assembly inclusion and data so no duplication is involved. It supports single or multi-tiered configurator models. We also allow storing pre-selected (segments/values) configured items in a Favorites list so they can be easily retrieved. It also supports the dynamic configurator with E1 9.0 if/when you upgrade.

Thanks, Doug Palaske, www.cdiconsulting.com

Thanks doug,

Unfortunately we have an internal approach as we have already an interface developped for that and we just want now to use datas from JDE instead of using a temporary database for that.

Regards
Jérôme

Hi Jérôme,

Yes, indeed i'm french
smile.gif

I sent you a document with the things i know about configuration tables in Xe.
Let met know if you have any comment.

May i ask you if you use old configuration strings to create reorders, using string history ?
And did you set up some purge or archive on configured strings ?

Regards,

</font><blockquote><font class="small">»ØÓ¦:</font><hr />
Salut Jérôme,

When i read your post i thought : wow ! It's really a big challenge to try to simulate Sales Order Configurator.
May i ask you why you need to simulate configurator with an external tool ? Is it for instance to let your customer enter their configured orders from a web site ?

We use the same version as you (Xe SP23), and we use the configurator a lot. We have thousands of configured items, of configuration rules. And we already faced the limit of configurator that allow only 500 characters configured strings for each configured item in an order.
Furthermore, we did a lot of work to try to understand how was working the configuration strings, in order to purge configuration tables (because many many many records are useless. In our case, something like 50% of records), and to archive configured strings.

If you're interested in some information about configuration tables (their link with the sales orders lines, their link one with another, as the configured string are stored in several tables with several format), please let me know.

About all the work done in the configurator, that's a different story. The way it processes rules, the work in cache, and the thousand of transactions done to validate the configuration require some very good development skills, especially in C++.
I don't know if you already had a look at a debug log file for an order configuration, but it's really huge !

Rgds,

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,antoine_mpo

I'm interested in some information about configuration tables,my email address:[email protected],please send it to me.
Thanks.

Hy. all. I have a task to implement JDE Configurator 9.0. We have complex requirements to it's functionality. It's not enough for me information in standard implementation guide.
If somebody has extended documentation or any useful information about it, I'll be grateful if you can share it.
My email: [email protected]

Back