Server Manager Backup/Restore

elcid

I'm in the process of changing out a deployment server, I was wondering if I could backup the server manager directory structure and restore to the new deployment server, I didn't see any registry keys for server manager and I notice there's a windows batch file under the jde_home directory that will create the SM service in Windows, didn't locate anything on Metalink that outline this process, so just wondering if anyone has done this before.
Thanks,
elcid
8.12/8.97

Hi,

I'm 99% sure that it'll work as long as you keep the same
machine name and disk layout (disks C:, D:, etc... and the
folder where you installed SM)

One of the SM "homes" you see on SM Console is the machine
where you installed SM itself, so if you change the
machine name you'll end with an orphaned instance

The same goes for disk layout, SM has references to
several of its internal folders (such as "components")

Of course, you can always fix those references (XML files)
manually, but if I were you, I'd take the safe path and
keep machine name and disk layout.

Just in case, restore SM under the same Windows account,
that may help you with some ownership/permission issues.

Sebastian, thanks for the feedback, yes everything will be the same, server name, disk drives, local jde admin user, I see no reason in theory why this would not work, but I will give it a try and let the list know if it worked or not.

Thanks,
elcid

I have done it before and it worked like a champ. All I did was install SM on the new deployment server and then replaced the folder structure from the old deployment server.

I didn't have to install SM again, I just restored the jde_home folder structure, and ran the C:\jde_home\bin\InstallManagementConsoleService.bat <sm admin password> batch file, which created the Windows service, bounce the JAS and SM Agents and it worked great.

elcid

Back