Collaborate

gregglarkin

gregglarkin

Legendary Poster
Any news out of Collaborate? Any big announcements? Is anyone there or are they hitting the theme parks on the companie's dime? Any word on where Collaborate 2010 will be? My vote would be for Vegas, that was my favorite locale.

when it was in vegas two years ago, they said it was coming back to vegas in 2010.

Exactly my questions, Greg. No posts about Collaborate from JDEListers (or did I miss it ?). Andrews consulting's blog says the following briefly:-

# Both E1 and World are here to stay and will be supported indefinitely.
# A steady flow of nice but modest new features will continue.
# The most important new capabilities will come from other Oracle applications that will be tightly integrated with JDE.
# Most of these “edge” applications have come from acquisitions.
# Application Integration Architecture (AIA) is the set of standards that allow all the things Oracle has bought over the years to integrate elegantly.
# This year’s featured edge applications provide cool analytical dashboards.
# The new tools release 8.98.1 has the usual set of nice to have improvements.

Anybody willing to elaborate or add to this list ?

Shailesh,

One thing I heard from someone who was there, the attendance was considerably down from last year. Her estimate was a third less attendees. That is just an opinion. Hopefully next year when the economy has picked up from the Obamabi stimulus gravy train, and with the return to Sin City Nevada, the attendance will be back to where it should be.

- Gregg

Yes, attendance was down 40%
Next year will be Vegas again
No major announcements, enhancements, etc.

There were a number of very good sessions.
Tech Sig enhancement sessions came up with more good ideas for Oracle to do.
One session that continues to stand out in my head is the impact of using Oracle (or SQL Server) database compression.
The big points:

- Average disk space savings of 60%.
- Average DB Cache (SGA) savings also around 60%
- Inserts overhead ~= 1%
- Updates overhead ~= 2%
- Reads . . . 2.7 times faster . . . yes I said 2.7 times faster.

The catch is that you must have Enterprise edition of Oracle or SQL Server to use compression, and in Oracle's case compression is an extra cost option on top of that. On the other hand, 60% space savings and 2.7 times faster read I-O can put off some hardware upgrades for several years . . .

Greg - Budget Issues??? And to think - I heard that everyone was staying away because the whine flu? I know more people that cancelled (either for themselves or their entire company) due to flu-fears - than weren't going due to budget issues.

I visited a pig farm in Roswell - Just before coming to Collab (so I would have a good resistance built up). I tried to shake every hand I could, on the way to, at the... and from Collab...

cool.gif

Overall - a positive experience and I learned a few things.
* The session on Sub-Forms was PERFECT
* BEPL Lab helped me understand more of the SOA stuff that I'm gapping for
* Got Lot's of contact information
* Got many ideas for the 'soon to launch Independent Connect . US' site
* Road every roll-a-coast-a several times!
* Learned how to hack SYSDBA via a GoToMeeting Session
* Got blister - and called a whiner by a multitude
* Found out that Missoula isn't the only place where ATT Wireless STINKS
* Got to meet Scott, Larry, Steve, Q, Tam and a whole bunch of other JDEListers ...

btw - I'm still not sick

(db)

[ QUOTE ]
btw - I'm still not sick

(db)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a matter of opinion......
grin.gif

- Gregg

The Tech SIG folks asked to show my "Hitler-CNC" video. Any idea if they actually did so?

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, attendance was down 40%
Next year will be Vegas again
No major announcements, enhancements, etc.

There were a number of very good sessions.
Tech Sig enhancement sessions came up with more good ideas for Oracle to do.
One session that continues to stand out in my head is the impact of using Oracle (or SQL Server) database compression.
The big points:

- Average disk space savings of 60%.
- Average DB Cache (SGA) savings also around 60%
- Inserts overhead ~= 1%
- Updates overhead ~= 2%
- Reads . . . 2.7 times faster . . . yes I said 2.7 times faster.

The catch is that you must have Enterprise edition of Oracle or SQL Server to use compression, and in Oracle's case compression is an extra cost option on top of that. On the other hand, 60% space savings and 2.7 times faster read I-O can put off some hardware upgrades for several years . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they nixed that idea. Perhaps behind closed doors? I did see a video that is up on YouTube. Fusion Infusion Blues or something like that - I believe one of Sue Shaw's servers makes a cameo appearance.

Personally, I don't find Hitler to be amusing. In any format. OK, I did like The Producers.

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I don't find Hitler to be amusing. In any format. OK, I did like The Producers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that once we reach the point where we can lampoon something, we have begun the process of healing.

Back